Plants under stress emit more methane
Toronto: Methane emission by plants in dry or drought prone areas could aggravate global warming more than previously suspected, says a new study.
A University of Calgary (U-C) study warns that plants exposed to environmental factors -- rising temperature, drought and ultraviolet-B radiation -- show enhanced methane emissions.
Methane is a very potent greenhouse gas -- 23 times more effective in trapping heat than carbon dioxide.
"Most studies just look at one factor. We wanted to mix a few of the environmental factors that are part of the climate change scenario to study a more true-to-life impact climate change has on plants," says David Reid, professor at U-C who co-authored the paper with M. Qaderi.
Reid and Qaderi analysed methane emissions from six crops -- faba bean, sunflower, pea, canola, barley and wheat -- that were exposed to rising temperature, ultraviolet-B radiation and water stress (drought).
What they found is troubling. These stresses caused plants to emit more methane. In a warmer, drier world methane might be a bigger contributor in global warming than previously thought.
When it comes to the greenhouse effect, methane could be considered the misunderstood and often overlooked orphan greenhouse gas, said an U-C release.
Its concentrations have more than doubled since pre-industrial times. While the growth rate of methane concentrations has slowed since the early 1990s, some scientists say this is only a temporary pause.
These findings were published online in Physiologia Plantarum.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Know how much sex is enough for happiness
- Swaragini: Ragini gets caught in her own trap; Swara slaps her
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed