Plastic particles in oceans `more prevalent than thought`
Washington: The decades that oceanographers spent collecting water samples from the surface of the ocean in order to record how much plastic debris currently litters the waters may be terribly off base due to miscalculation, a new study has revealed.
The study asserts that surface collection alone is insufficient because high winds have a tremendous impact on the buoyancy of the plastic debris.
In a voyage in 2010 in the North Atlantic, the research team began collecting samples at the surface as well as additional depths as far as 100 feet. At each interval, plastic particles were present.
According to new numbers, earlier plastic content tests could be underestimated by anywhere from 2.5 to 27 times.
“We’re just tapping the potential of this new research but there is definitely a lot more plastic particle pollution out there than we thought and we need to study this more,” Dylan Meyer, co-author of the paper and a 2012 graduate from Eckerd College in St. Petersburg, Fla, said.
The plastic particles create a myriad of potential problems to the ocean’s ecosystem.
Stunting the growth of marine fauna by attaching itself to seaweeds, being ingested by fish and being passed up the food chain can lead to failure of internal organs or decreased growth.
On a smaller level, the particles also become a great mode of transportation for microbes to travel from one area to another and invading nonnative areas.
“Ocean plastics haven’t been well studied. It is a pollutant that no one has taken the time and effort into quantifying how much plastic is in the ocean or studied its effects on the ecosystems.
“There are definitely environmental impacts that can be seen that are only going to be worsened,” Meyer added.
The study has been published in Geophysical Research Letters.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Sad reality behind the shutting down of the historic Gita Press
- Sonakshi Sinha apologises to Sarabjit, accused in Tilak Nagar case
- DNA: With new facts emerging, Sheena Bora's murder mystery further deepens
- Sheena Bora murder: Mikhail to be brought to Mumbai for questioning
- Sheena Bora murder spread over various cities
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- A peek into Indrani Mukerjea's past
- Sheena Bora murder case: When Indrani Mukerjea broke down during questioning
- Ravi Shastri reveals truth behind MS Dhoni's sudden Test retirement!