PM announces $50 mn for biodiversity conservation
Hyderabad: Prime Minister Manmohan Singh today announced USD 50 million grant for conservation of biological diversity to strengthen the institutional mechanism for biodiversity conservation in the country as he pledged India`s commitment for the global cause.
Inaugurating a high-level segment meeting at the ongoing Conference of Parties to the Convention on Biological Diversity here today, the Prime Minister said India was committed to work with all the parties to reach a consensus on biological diversity and sustainable growth.
How to mobilise financial, technical and human resources for biodiversity conservation has become a critical issue, Singh pointed out.
"On the occasion of this conference, I am pleased to launch the Hyderabad Pledge and announce that our Government has decided to earmark a sum of US$ 50 million during India?s presidency of the Conference of Parties to the Convention on Biological Diversity to strengthen the institutional mechanism for biodiversity conservation in India" , he said.
The amount would be utilised for enhancing technical and human capabilities for biodiversity conservation.
Developing new models of inclusive conservation was an important challenge, the Prime Minister noted and suggested that innovative approaches need to be adopted.
"In India, there is a co-relation of efforts for biological diversity conservation and poverty alleviation," he added.
Union Minister of State for Environment Jayanthi Natarajan, Japan`s Environment Minister Hiroyuki Nagahama, Andhra Pradesh Governor E S L Narasimhan, Chief Minister Kiran Kumar Reddy, United Nations Environment Programme Executive Director Achim Steiner, Convention on Biological Diversity Executive Secretary Brasilo Ferreira D`Souza and others were present on the occasion.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM