PM announces $50 mn for biodiversity conservation
Hyderabad: Prime Minister Manmohan Singh today announced USD 50 million grant for conservation of biological diversity to strengthen the institutional mechanism for biodiversity conservation in the country as he pledged India`s commitment for the global cause.
Inaugurating a high-level segment meeting at the ongoing Conference of Parties to the Convention on Biological Diversity here today, the Prime Minister said India was committed to work with all the parties to reach a consensus on biological diversity and sustainable growth.
How to mobilise financial, technical and human resources for biodiversity conservation has become a critical issue, Singh pointed out.
"On the occasion of this conference, I am pleased to launch the Hyderabad Pledge and announce that our Government has decided to earmark a sum of US$ 50 million during India?s presidency of the Conference of Parties to the Convention on Biological Diversity to strengthen the institutional mechanism for biodiversity conservation in India" , he said.
The amount would be utilised for enhancing technical and human capabilities for biodiversity conservation.
Developing new models of inclusive conservation was an important challenge, the Prime Minister noted and suggested that innovative approaches need to be adopted.
"In India, there is a co-relation of efforts for biological diversity conservation and poverty alleviation," he added.
Union Minister of State for Environment Jayanthi Natarajan, Japan`s Environment Minister Hiroyuki Nagahama, Andhra Pradesh Governor E S L Narasimhan, Chief Minister Kiran Kumar Reddy, United Nations Environment Programme Executive Director Achim Steiner, Convention on Biological Diversity Executive Secretary Brasilo Ferreira D`Souza and others were present on the occasion.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Know how much sex is enough for happiness
- Swaragini: Ragini gets caught in her own trap; Swara slaps her
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Shah Rukh Khan tweets about new ‘Dilwale’ song
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed