Poachers kill 25 migratory birds in Chilika Lake, 2 held
Bhubaneswar: Despite security cover over migratory birds at Chilika lake, about 80 kilometre from here, poachers have killed at least 25 of the species from Nalabana bird sanctuary area.
Forest officials seized 25 dead migratory birds and arrested two persons in this connection yesterday, said Ramachandra Sethi, the range officer of Balugaon Forest Division. The birds were seized from Majhi Ora village at the bank of Chilika lake.
The arrested duo, identified as Debaraj Behera (40) and Dukhishyam Behera (42) of Mangalajodi village under Tangi police station limits, were later forwarded to the court, said Sethi.
The state government has banned entry into 15.53 sqkm area of the Nalabana bird sanctuary during winter when lakhs of migratory birds land in the lagoon. Besides Nalabana, migratory birds also gather at other parts of the lagoon.
Officials said that they have set up at least 70 anti-poaching camps across 1100 square kilometre area of the Chilika lagoon. At least eight patrolling boats were doing rounds in the Chilika waters, the official said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop good communication skills for a successful life?
- Curfew lifted from 4 districts of Kashmir valley
- Recently launched Pokemon Go gaining extreme popularity among users
- Rajnath Singh meets J&K CM Mehbooba Mufti to discuss current situation in valley
- AAP MLA Amantulla Khan arrested for misbehaving with a woman