Poachers kill 25 migratory birds in Chilika Lake, 2 held
Bhubaneswar: Despite security cover over migratory birds at Chilika lake, about 80 kilometre from here, poachers have killed at least 25 of the species from Nalabana bird sanctuary area.
Forest officials seized 25 dead migratory birds and arrested two persons in this connection yesterday, said Ramachandra Sethi, the range officer of Balugaon Forest Division. The birds were seized from Majhi Ora village at the bank of Chilika lake.
The arrested duo, identified as Debaraj Behera (40) and Dukhishyam Behera (42) of Mangalajodi village under Tangi police station limits, were later forwarded to the court, said Sethi.
The state government has banned entry into 15.53 sqkm area of the Nalabana bird sanctuary during winter when lakhs of migratory birds land in the lagoon. Besides Nalabana, migratory birds also gather at other parts of the lagoon.
Officials said that they have set up at least 70 anti-poaching camps across 1100 square kilometre area of the Chilika lagoon. At least eight patrolling boats were doing rounds in the Chilika waters, the official said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- PM Modi addresses public meeting in Kozhikode
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi
- Delhi government bans Chinese firecrackers for this Diwali