Poachers shoot at rhino in Kaziranga
Kaziranga: A female rhino of Kaziranga National Park was shot at and its horn and ear cut off by poachers in upper Assam`s Golaghat district this morning, while people blocked NH-37 in protest.
The poachers fired upon and seriously injured the pachyderm and then sawed away its horn and also cut off a part of its right ear in the Karbi Anglong hills across KNP, Divisional Forest Officer Dibjodhar Gogoi said.
The rhino heavily bleeding from the area where its horn was taken away was struggling for life and veterinarians were attempting to save the animal, the forest officer said.
The rhino had last night strayed out of the flood-hit forest last night and a search operation was launched till midnight to guide it back.
Gun shots were heard early this morning and upon searching the east division of the Karbi Anglong hills the animal was found in an injured state, Gogoi said.
Protesting against the incident, locals along with the All Assam Students Union (AASU) and Asom Jatiyatabadi Yuba Chatra Parishad (AJYCP) blocked the National Highway 37 passing by the side of KNP connecting upper and lower Assam.
The slogan shouting demonstrators also burnt the effigies of Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi and Forest Minister Rockybul Hussain for allegedly failing to protect wildlife in Kaziranga.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- Jayalalithaa's health condition: Amma critical, nation's political fraternity expresses concern - Who said what
- RBI to issue new Rs 20, Rs 50 notes; old notes to remain legal tender