Poachers shoot at rhino in Kaziranga
Kaziranga: A female rhino of Kaziranga National Park was shot at and its horn and ear cut off by poachers in upper Assam`s Golaghat district this morning, while people blocked NH-37 in protest.
The poachers fired upon and seriously injured the pachyderm and then sawed away its horn and also cut off a part of its right ear in the Karbi Anglong hills across KNP, Divisional Forest Officer Dibjodhar Gogoi said.
The rhino heavily bleeding from the area where its horn was taken away was struggling for life and veterinarians were attempting to save the animal, the forest officer said.
The rhino had last night strayed out of the flood-hit forest last night and a search operation was launched till midnight to guide it back.
Gun shots were heard early this morning and upon searching the east division of the Karbi Anglong hills the animal was found in an injured state, Gogoi said.
Protesting against the incident, locals along with the All Assam Students Union (AASU) and Asom Jatiyatabadi Yuba Chatra Parishad (AJYCP) blocked the National Highway 37 passing by the side of KNP connecting upper and lower Assam.
The slogan shouting demonstrators also burnt the effigies of Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi and Forest Minister Rockybul Hussain for allegedly failing to protect wildlife in Kaziranga.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Maysore Maharaja Yaduveer ties knot with princess Trishika of Dungarpur
- India becomes full member of Missile Technology Control Regime
- Singapore Airlines plane catches fire at Changi Airport
- Govt's insensitivity towards Pampore terror attack martyrs leaves nation stunned
- Mysore Maharaja Yaduveer Wadiar ties knot with princess Trishika Singh of Dungarpur, Rajasthan
- LeEco Le Max 2: Aiming to outshine rivals with powerful hardware, CDLA technology
- WATCH: How Lionel Messi missed crucial penalty kick in Copa America final against Chile
- When Varun Dhawan, John Abraham came to Jacqueline Fernandez's rescue—Full story inside
- Congress stalwart Sheila Dikhsit refuses to become CM face for 2017 UP elections
- Modi govt shortlists 4 candidates to succeed Raghuram Rajan as RBI Governor