Poaching still threatening Sumatran Tigers
Jakarta: Poaching and illegal trade in tiger parts are still major threats to the survival of the Sumatran tiger (Panthera tigris sumatrae), according to an NGO activist.
The Sumatran tiger is the only remaining tiger sub-species in Indonesia following the extinction of Java and Balinese tigers in the early 20th century, Osmantri, chief coordinator of the WWF-Indonesia`s Tiger Protection Unit, said here today.
The Sumatran tiger population on Sumatran Island is estimated at 400 heads at present, he said.
Poaching and illegal trade usually involved financially strong and big networks, he said.
"In general, illegal trading in wildlife causes state losses, and it must be dealt with in the same way as illegal logging," he said.
The Indonesian government is one of the 13 tiger range nations which have signed a commitment on the Global Tiger Recovery Program in St. Petersburg, Russia, in November 2010.
The program is aimed among other things to preserve the Sumatran tiger and its habitat, and intensify legal enforcement against poaching and illegal trade in tiger parts.
The Indonesian government has also outlined the Sumatran Tiger Conservation Strategy Plan 2007-2017.
"The international world is watching whether Indonesia will be successful or fail in these efforts and it could affect the country`s image," he said.
WWF-Indonesia also expressed appreciation to the Payakumbuh district court and the Payakumbuh prosecutor`s office for bringing to justice Afandi (49), who is charged will illegal trade in tiger parts.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- Indian Army avenges Uri with surgical strikes across LoC, heavy casualties
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Will India's SAARC summit boycott change Pak's attitude towards terrorism?
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says