Poaching still threatening Sumatran Tigers
Jakarta: Poaching and illegal trade in tiger parts are still major threats to the survival of the Sumatran tiger (Panthera tigris sumatrae), according to an NGO activist.
The Sumatran tiger is the only remaining tiger sub-species in Indonesia following the extinction of Java and Balinese tigers in the early 20th century, Osmantri, chief coordinator of the WWF-Indonesia`s Tiger Protection Unit, said here today.
The Sumatran tiger population on Sumatran Island is estimated at 400 heads at present, he said.
Poaching and illegal trade usually involved financially strong and big networks, he said.
"In general, illegal trading in wildlife causes state losses, and it must be dealt with in the same way as illegal logging," he said.
The Indonesian government is one of the 13 tiger range nations which have signed a commitment on the Global Tiger Recovery Program in St. Petersburg, Russia, in November 2010.
The program is aimed among other things to preserve the Sumatran tiger and its habitat, and intensify legal enforcement against poaching and illegal trade in tiger parts.
The Indonesian government has also outlined the Sumatran Tiger Conservation Strategy Plan 2007-2017.
"The international world is watching whether Indonesia will be successful or fail in these efforts and it could affect the country`s image," he said.
WWF-Indonesia also expressed appreciation to the Payakumbuh district court and the Payakumbuh prosecutor`s office for bringing to justice Afandi (49), who is charged will illegal trade in tiger parts.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know