Polar bear dies at South African zoo
Johannesburg: One of South Africa`s two polar bears has died at the Johannesburg Zoo, leaving its mate now believed to be the only polar bear in Africa, a veterinarian said today.
Geebee, the 29-year-old polar bear, came from Canada and had long survived the warm climate in Johannesburg, where temperatures can rise above 30 degrees Celsius (86 degrees Fahrenheit) in the summer.
She died of natural causes and had lived in the zoo with her male partner, Wang, who is from Japan, for nearly three decades.
Veterinarian Katja Koeppel said the zoo had no plans of replacing the dead polar bear, saying the climate was not suited to a species native to some of the coldest parts of the world.
"They adapt very well but they can`t breed, it`s the wrong climate," she said.
She added that the two animals "preferred staying outside and swimming... Then lying in the aircon room."
Since Geebee`s death, Wang had displayed unusual behaviour and been destructive and restless, she said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Indian Army avenges Uri with surgical strikes across LoC, heavy casualties
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says