Polar bear dies from zebra virus
London: Scientists have warned equine herpes might have developed the ability to jump species in the same way as influenza, after a polar bear died in a zoo in Germany after catching herpes from a zebra.
Female polar bear Jerka, 20, suffered seizures and frothing at the mouth after her brain swelled, The Sun reported.
Her 16-year-old male mate Lars, who was also infected, was saved by veterinarians at the Zoological Gardens in Wuppertal, Germany.
Experts found the cause of death was a form of equine herpes.
Zoo keepers were baffled by the illness because the zebra house is 68 metres from the bear enclosure.
Influenza can spread from pigs to birds to humans and there are now fears this virus could be the same, the daily said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Congress workers thrash students for showing black flags to Rahul Gandhi in Raebareli
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31