Polar bear dies from zebra virus
London: Scientists have warned equine herpes might have developed the ability to jump species in the same way as influenza, after a polar bear died in a zoo in Germany after catching herpes from a zebra.
Female polar bear Jerka, 20, suffered seizures and frothing at the mouth after her brain swelled, The Sun reported.
Her 16-year-old male mate Lars, who was also infected, was saved by veterinarians at the Zoological Gardens in Wuppertal, Germany.
Experts found the cause of death was a form of equine herpes.
Zoo keepers were baffled by the illness because the zebra house is 68 metres from the bear enclosure.
Influenza can spread from pigs to birds to humans and there are now fears this virus could be the same, the daily said.
- Deepika Padukone in Salman Khan’s ‘Tubelight’? Kabir Khan has an answer
- Donald Trump the `presumptive` White House nominee as Cruz crashes out
- Karan Singh Grover’s words for Bipasha Basu will restore your faith in love – Check them out
- Champions League: After knocking out Bayern Munich, Atletico Madrid ready to write history
- Premier League triumph: Leicester City's 'magic' hailed globally as the party goes on