Polar bear dies from zebra virus
London: Scientists have warned equine herpes might have developed the ability to jump species in the same way as influenza, after a polar bear died in a zoo in Germany after catching herpes from a zebra.
Female polar bear Jerka, 20, suffered seizures and frothing at the mouth after her brain swelled, The Sun reported.
Her 16-year-old male mate Lars, who was also infected, was saved by veterinarians at the Zoological Gardens in Wuppertal, Germany.
Experts found the cause of death was a form of equine herpes.
Zoo keepers were baffled by the illness because the zebra house is 68 metres from the bear enclosure.
Influenza can spread from pigs to birds to humans and there are now fears this virus could be the same, the daily said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mumbai: Police arrests 4 schoolboys for raping classmate
- Haryana minister Anil Vij gets into spat with Fatehabad SP Sangeeta Kalia
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's controversial statement on PoK
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's full speech in Parliament
- DNA: Heart-wrenching stories of Kashmiri pandits
- Tamasha movie review: Poignant and riveting; Ranbir's the master here!
- Kapil Sharma organises ‘wedding’ ceremony for married Harbhajan Singh, Geeta Basra?
- Kim Jong-Un issues bizarre diktat, asks North Korean men to copy his hairstyle, women to follow his wife
- Muslim man sends 'talaq' SMS to wife after learning about her gang-rape
- WATCH: From US-made bomb making tools to Quran; here's all unearthed from ISIS secret tunnels