Polar bear dies from zebra virus
London: Scientists have warned equine herpes might have developed the ability to jump species in the same way as influenza, after a polar bear died in a zoo in Germany after catching herpes from a zebra.
Female polar bear Jerka, 20, suffered seizures and frothing at the mouth after her brain swelled, The Sun reported.
Her 16-year-old male mate Lars, who was also infected, was saved by veterinarians at the Zoological Gardens in Wuppertal, Germany.
Experts found the cause of death was a form of equine herpes.
Zoo keepers were baffled by the illness because the zebra house is 68 metres from the bear enclosure.
Influenza can spread from pigs to birds to humans and there are now fears this virus could be the same, the daily said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- Indrani Mukerjea's three plans to kill Sheena Bora
- DNA: Analyzing Geeta Press' baseless accusations against Zee News - Part II
- Govt should stop discrimination against Muslims: Hamid Ansari
- Baby girl still in hospital after 76 days, mother denies relationship with baby
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- I am still single, says Hrithik Roshan
- Bharat bandh: Nation braces for country-wide strike on Wednesday
- When Indrani Mukerjea broke down on meeting her daughter Vidhie