President flags off eco-friendly solar car
New Delhi: President Pranab Mukherjee on Tuesday flagged off a solar-powered passenger car developed by Delhi Technological University.
"With a speed of 120 km/hr, the solar car is a zero carbon emission and completely eco-friendly. It has a sedan shape with a seating capacity of two and option of adding three more seats," a press release said.
The car, flagged off from Rashtrapati Bhavan, will represent India at the Sasol Solar Challenge to be held in South Africa between September 15-29.
Solar cars from across the world will participate in the competition, which will cover 4,200 km along the coastline of South Africa.
The DTU solar car, codenamed `Solaris`, is one of the most innovative projects of DTU, earlier called the Delhi College of Engineering.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jharkhand: 2 dead, several injured in clashes between police, villagers in Ramgarh
- Delhi minister meets Jain monk over Vishal Dadlani tweet controversy
- One killed in annual bull racing in Peru
- 16-year-old Indian-origin boy finds cure for breast cancer treatment
- Heartbreaking! Denied medical help, 12-year-old UP boy dies on dad's shoulder
- US tries to stop feuding allies from unraveling Syria strategy
- After Rio disappointment, Yogeshwar Dutt receives boost with London 2012 medal upgrade
- First look: Karan Johar's 'Ae Dil Hai Mushkil' posters will leave you intrigued – View inside
- Facebook promoted fake news story on Trending Topics
- IIT Bombay alumnus named CEO of US firm ANSYS