President flags off eco-friendly solar car
New Delhi: President Pranab Mukherjee on Tuesday flagged off a solar-powered passenger car developed by Delhi Technological University.
"With a speed of 120 km/hr, the solar car is a zero carbon emission and completely eco-friendly. It has a sedan shape with a seating capacity of two and option of adding three more seats," a press release said.
The car, flagged off from Rashtrapati Bhavan, will represent India at the Sasol Solar Challenge to be held in South Africa between September 15-29.
Solar cars from across the world will participate in the competition, which will cover 4,200 km along the coastline of South Africa.
The DTU solar car, codenamed `Solaris`, is one of the most innovative projects of DTU, earlier called the Delhi College of Engineering.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Tihar Jail's security breached: Lt Governor Najeeb Jung orders probe, Centre seeks report
- MEA declines information on Lalit Modi's passport issue, draws flak
- School director beaten to death after two students found dead in Bihar
- #SelfieWithDaughter trends worldwide on Twitter after PM Modi's 'Mann Ki Baat'