Project to assess sparrow population in Guwahati
Guwahati: A project to assess the sparrow`s population in the city here has been initiated on the occasion of the World Sparrow Day amidst widely-held beliefs that there has been a decline in the bird`s population.
In Guwahati, sparrows are often found nesting on rolling shutters in shops and this is an indication that they could do well if they are provided with nest site alternative in the form of nest box, Environmentalist and bio-diversity organisation Aaranyak`s Publicity Secretary Dr Firoz Ahmed said.
Research scholar Anukul Nath will undertake the study under the supervision of Dr Hilloljyoti Singha of Assam University and Aaranyak`s Dr Bibhuti Prasad Lahkar to assess the bird`s population in Guwahati and put nest boxes to understand the response of the House Sparrow.
The project is supported by Aaranyak`s Small Grants for Nature Conservation in Northeast India in association with the Rufford Small Grants Foundation.
The study would also investigate the effect of electromagnetic radiation on the breeding of sparrows.
House sparrows used to be a common sight in India and many other countries till recently.
Among the reasons for the bird`s declining number, specially in urban areas are: changing architecture of human habitations, loss of tree cover, excessive use of pesticides, lack of traditional granaries, grocery shops and storehouses that permit gleaning of grains by birds, air pollution and electromagnetic radiation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof