Project to promote renewable energy in Ladakh approved
New Delhi: The Cabinet Committee on
Infrastructure Friday approved a project worth Rs 473 crore to
promote use of renewable energy in Ladakh region of Jammu and
"The implementation of the project will start from
June, 2010 and will be completed by December, 2013. The
renewable energy projects are expected to result in a saving
of about 200 lakh litres of diesel per year," officials said.
With the region rich in solar and hydro resources, it
was felt that they can be effectively used for minimising the
use of diesel, kerosene and fuel-wood, they said.
Detailed studies were undertaken in Leh and Kargil
districts and after consultations with defence officials,
Ladakh councils in Leh and Kargil and districts officials,
the Ministry prepared the plan for large scale use of
renewable energy with a total financial requirement of Rs 473
Under the plan, 30 small or micro hydel projects
aggregating to 23.5 MW capacity, 300 SPV power plants of 5-100
KW capacity, 2000 SPV home lighting systems and about 40,000
solar thermal systems such as water heating, solar cookers,
solar passive buildings, solar green house are envisaged to be
set up, officials said.
In the project, solar greenhouses are also proposed to
be set up, which would help in increasing the production of
green vegetables in winters for the region, which are other
wise procured from far off places.
New and Renewable Energy Minister Farooq Abdullah
will visit Jammu and Kashmir next month to hold discussions
with the Chief Minister Omar Abdullah, who is also his son,
for speedy implementation of the plan, officials said.
The Ladakh region faces enormous energy adversities
throughout the year, which become even more acute during the
winter months with the population facing acute problem of fuel
for cooking and space heating.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- China 'threatened' by ISRO's record-setting achievement?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'