Protected pangolins seized from Philippine boat
Manila: Philippine authorities have seized 23 protected scaly anteaters found hidden in a cargo boat, in the second case of suspected trafficking of the species in a month, officials said.
The coast guard, acting on a tip, found 22 of the animals -- also known as pangolins -- alive and one dead, on a boat set to leave a port on the western island of Palawan on Saturday, a coast guard statement said.
The wild animals, believed to have been snatched from the island, were destined for Manila, said Palawan environment official Alex Marciada.
"At least we got them (the 22 live pangolins) back and we are now trying to rehabilitate them at the rescue centre," he said.
Earlier this month, a Chinese fishing vessel that ran aground in a Philippine marine park near Palawan was found to be carrying hundreds of frozen pangolins in violation of international conservation rules.
The crew were detained and charged with poaching and illegal entry, while they face further charges of trafficking in protected species, said Marciada, spokesman for the Palawan Council for Sustainable Development.
The crime is punishable by up to 20 years in prison, he said.
No arrests have been made for the latest seizure of live pangolins.
The owner of the cargo could not be traced, Marciada said, adding that the government is considering charges against the boat owner instead.
Pangolins are widely hunted in parts of Asia for their meat, skin and scales -- in China they are considered a delicacy and are believed to have medicinal qualities.
In the Philippines they are found only on Palawan and officials have expressed concerns that trafficking could lead to their extinction.
The Swiss-based International Union for the Conservation of Nature lists the Philippine pangolin as "near-threatened".
The Philippines prohibits their capture and transportation.
Marciada said tests conducted by government scientists showed that some of the frozen pangolins found in the Chinese fishermen`s boat had come from Palawan, but others came from Malaysia or Indonesia.
All eight species of the insect-eating mammals are protected by international law.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- TERI panel finds RK Pachauri guilty in sexual harassment case
- Rajasthan: High Court raps Chief Secy, DGP for failing to end Gujjar agitation
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Islamic State attracts young recruits with free honeymoon, stipend for family
- MSBSHSE Class XII HSC results 2015: Maharashtra Class 12th Board results declared on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015