Punjab forest cover to be enhanced from 7 to 15%
Chandigarh: Punjab government has decided to enhance forest cover in the state from existing 7 per cent to 15 per cent under `Greener Punjab Mission`.
Under this mission, 4.75 crore saplings are to be planted each year in the state.
This mission would continue for 8 years, Forest Minister Surjit Kumar Jyani said in a release.
He said the department would plant/distribute 475 lakh saplings for an estimated area of 20,000 hectare at an investment of Rs 122.42 crore in 2013-14.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town
- Naya Bazar explosion: Home Ministry seeks report from Delhi Police; one dead, 5 injured