Punjab govt encourages plantation of saplings in institutions
Chandigarh: Punjab government today stressed on plantation of saplings on vacant land in the state`s 20,600 government educational institutions to create awareness among students on environment.
The present monsoon season is fully conducive for plantation of seven lakh saplings, thereby contributing in making our state more green and eco-friendly, said education minister
Sikander Singh Maluka, stressing on plantation of saplings having medicinal value and fruit bearing plants.
The state education department has decided to launch a campaign to encourage students to not only plant maximum saplings, but also take care of existing trees in their respective institutions, he said.
Suggesting that local NGOs could also be roped in for the plantation purpose, the education minister added, institutions and students with better performance would be given appreciation awards.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part II
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part III
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part IV
- Olympic bronze medallist Sakshi Malik returns home from Rio to grand welcome!
- WATCH: PRODIGY! This 11-year-old from Odisha slum will now train at Bayern Munich
- Turkey will give full support to operation to retake Syria's Jarablus from Islamic State: Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu
- WATCH: What is PV Sindhu's equation with Saina Nehwal? Her reply will surprise you
- Iraq executions carried out without proper trial, fuelled by vengeance: UN
- India to buy 500 helicopters, 12 submarines, over 200 fighter jets in next 10 years: Report