Punjab govt encourages plantation of saplings in institutions
Chandigarh: Punjab government today stressed on plantation of saplings on vacant land in the state`s 20,600 government educational institutions to create awareness among students on environment.
The present monsoon season is fully conducive for plantation of seven lakh saplings, thereby contributing in making our state more green and eco-friendly, said education minister
Sikander Singh Maluka, stressing on plantation of saplings having medicinal value and fruit bearing plants.
The state education department has decided to launch a campaign to encourage students to not only plant maximum saplings, but also take care of existing trees in their respective institutions, he said.
Suggesting that local NGOs could also be roped in for the plantation purpose, the education minister added, institutions and students with better performance would be given appreciation awards.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- India, Bangladesh swap border enclaves, settle historic dispute; people rejoice
- Home Ministry holds high-level meet over ISIS
- 'Remembering Dr APJ Abdul Kalam' - President Pranab Mukherjee's photo tribute on Twitter
- ‘Bajrangi Bhaijaan’ Salman Khan weaves magic at BO; to register Rs 500 crore soon!