Puppet show to spread water conservation message
Kolkata: Armed with a variety of decorated hand puppets, a group of school students here will spread the message of water conservation on the occasion of World Water Day Saturday.
"In an event organised by the Birla Industrial and Technological Museum (BITM) here, puppetry will be used to highlight water crisis. Neon lights, creative audio-visuals and vibrant backdrops will accentuate the performances," an official said.
"We have trained the students to use hand puppets (gloves) and developed a special script," BITM`s education officer Tarun Das told IANS.
In one particular script, puppets will enact how industrial pollution and waste discharges are affecting the fish in rivers and lakes. A part of it will depict the wastage of water through actions like improperly shut taps.
Students will also be engaged in a water sample testing activity.
About 1.3 billion people in the world cannot access electricity, 768 million lack access to clean drinking water and 2.5 billion people have no proper sanitation facilities. Water and energy have crucial impact on poverty alleviation.
In 2014, the UN will be addressing the issue of water-energy nexus, particularly inequities, especially for the "bottom billion" who live in slums and impoverished rural areas and survive without access to safe drinking water, adequate sanitation and sufficient food and energy services.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum