Purebred calf born through embryo implant
London: A purebred Yellowstone calf is now living at the Bronx Zoo after scientists were able to successfully implant a genetically pure embryo into a commercial bison.
This is great news for the park - as around 40 per cent of the natural herd suffers from brucellosis, which can cause pregnant animals to miscarry, meaning the future of the most world’s genetically-pure breed could be at risk.
The zoo and Colorado State University announced that the surrogate bison gave birth to a healthy male calf at the zoo on June 20.
The embryo was taken from a Yellowstone bison, kept at the university in October, checked for diseases, and then implanted in the surrogate, the Daily Mail reported.
While many bison have been bred with cattle, Yellowstone National Park has one of the world’s largest and most genetically-pure bison herds.
But concern about the disease has prevented the animals from being taken out of the park to reproduce.
Wild bison herds use to roam across American, until humans almost wiped them out in the centuries leading up to the early 20th century.
According to PopSci, many bison have some cattle genes, but Yellowstone’s bison are “genetically uninterrupted.”
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Turkey has the right to defend its airspace, says Obama
- J&K: Terrorists attack Army camp at Tangdhar near LoC
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's ignorance on Kashmiri Pandits
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- Watch: Chicago cop shoots a 17-year-old black man 16 times
- Army camp attacked in J&K's Kupwara; three JeM terrorists, one civilian killed
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'
- Aamir Khan's 12-day mystery: From lauding Modi's 'positive India' to dubbing India as 'intolerant'