Qatar to host next round of climate talks
Durban: Qatar, the world`s top per capita emitter of carbon dioxide, will host the next round of climate change talks scheduled for December 2012.
"Yes I confirm #COP18 in Qatar!", Christina Figueres, executive secretary of the UN Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC), said here in Durban, South Africa, where this year`s meeting is being held.
South Korea, which also bid to host the conference, had to settle for hosting the preparatory gathering of ministers that usually takes place before the key annual conference.
The annual conferences are rotated between the five UNregional groups, with the African Group hosting this year and the Asian Group scheduled to host in 2012.
COP18 will take place from November 26 to December 7 in 2012 and is likely to be held in Qatar`s capital of Doha.
South Korea will host a key transitional meeting to help ministers prepare for the event.
"This has been a very, very intense conversation betweenboth countries," Figueres said, alluding to the sharp competition between the nations over the last two years.
"It is win-win agreement for both countries, but above all it is an important win for the climate process."
Qatar, which sits atop vast natural gas deposits, has the highest per-capita greenhouse gas emissions in the world, according to the United Nations Statistics Division.
Qatar`s 2007 annual per-capita emissions of 55.4 tonnes were nearly three times those of the United States, the New York Times reported. Qatar has a population of just 1.69
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Is there no respect for Congress in UP politics?
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- Virat Kohli vs Sachin Tendulkar: Who is a better cricketer? Read what Virender Sehwag has to say