`Quake on India-China border on April 14-16`
Colombo: More earthquakes are possible to hit parts of Asia, including Japan and the Chinese border with India, according to a Sri Lankan geologist.
"We can predict another earthquake occurring in Japan between April 16 and 20. One in China closer to border with India between April 14 and 16 and one in Indonesia`s Java, Sumatra regions between April 10 and 17 ," Athula Senaratne of the Peardeniya University`s Geological Research Department said.
Peradeniya University located in the central district of Kandy has the only earth science department in the island.
Senaratne said their research was based on the data of earthquakes above six in the richter scale over the last 100 years.
He said earthquakes can affect parts of Turkey, Iran and Greece. He said his team had correctly predicted the March earthquake in Japan and the one early this month.
He said Sri Lanka would not be affected by any of the earthquakes unless a Tsunami would be triggered by the one he had predicted in Indonesia between 10 and 17 April.
"But a Tsunami would be caused only if the quake hits 25 kms into the sea bed", Senaratne said.
Sri Lanka`s coastal belt was devastated by the 2004 Tsunami following an earthquake in Sumatra.
More than 30,000 people died while 100,000 homes were destroyed.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch - Parrikar's reply to Mamata's military coup claim
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Scam? 'Aam Aadmi Party using Delhi Transport Corporation to exchange Rs 500, Rs 1,000 notes'
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata