Rahul Gandhi to take up Kasturirangan panel report on Western Ghats
New Delhi: Congress leader Rahul Gandhi will take up with Environment Minister Jayanthi Natarajan the issue of implementation of Kasturirangan panel report on Western Ghats in the wake strong protests in some hilly areas of Kerala against it.
Sources said Gandhi gave this assurance to party`s Kerala leaders, including Chief Minister Oommen Chandy and PCC Chief Ramesh Chennithala, when they took up the issue with him during a meeting held to review Congress`s performance in the state.
The review meeting was attended by party General Secretaries Janardan Dwivedi, Ahmed Patel and AICC General Secretary in-charge (Kerala) Mukul Wasnik.
Later, Chandy told reporters that there were several "faults" in the Kasturirangan panel report and measures to protect the ecologically fragile Western Ghat region should be taken only after considering the "ground reality".
The report should be amended, correcting procedural lapses and giving practical exemptions to places considering the ground realities there, Chandy said.
He said the livelihood of several thousands of people will be affected if the report is implemented in its present form.
An Environment Ministry panel has given approval to a report on Western Ghats prepared by K Kasturirangan-led panel which has recommended prohibition on development activities in 60,000 sq km ecologically sensitive area spread over six states.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Why nationalist reporting trigger protest in Gurez valley?
- DNA: Why nationalist reporting trigger protest in Gurez valley? - Part II
- DNA: Why nationalist reporting trigger protest in Gurez valley? - Part III
- DNA: Minor burnt three puppies to death in Hyderabad
- DNA: Today in History, July 21, 2016
- Two UAE women reunite with Indian mother after 28 years
- Dalit youth beaten, urinated upon in Bihar, says FIR
- Lok Sabha Speaker calls Bhagwant Mann video of Parliament security 'serious', hints action is coming
- Himachal sees 26 percent deficit rainfall
- Actors singing is a very good trend: Ayushmann Khurrana