Ranthambore tigress relocated to Sariska
Jaipur: A tigress was relocated from Rajasthan`s Ranthambore National Park to the Sariska Tiger Reserve, officials said.
The state government had identified two young tigresses of Ranthambore for relocation to Sariska after getting a nod from the National Tiger Conservation Authority (NCTA). The other one will also be relocated soon, the officials added.
Sariska Tiger Reserve in Alwar district, around 150 km from here, is home to seven tigers, including two cubs.
The shifting of one more tigress has brought the number to eight, the officials added.
A senior forest department officer told IANS: "The two-year-old tigress named Bina-1 was tranquilized in Ranthambore, taken to Sariska by road and then released into an enclosure in the afternoon on Tuesday."
State Forest and Tourism Minister Bina Kak, NTCA director Rajesh Gopal and several experts from the Wildlife Institute of India supervised the relocation.
"The tigress is behaving normal now. We will relocate its sibling named Bina-2 soon," said the officer.
The number of tigers in Ranthambore has increased to 52, including 26 cubs. Four tigers have been killed in territorial fights over the past four years in the park, leaving environmentalists worried since as the tiger population increases, there is also need to create a habitat in which they can thrive.
The officer said that security by armed home guard personnel will be stepped up to ensure safety of the tigers in Sariska Tiger Reserve after the relocation.
Two cubs were spotted in Sariska in September last year. Before sighting of the two cubs, the Sariska reserve had five adult tigers, of which three are females and two males.
In 2004-05, the forest department and the Rajasthan government faced all-round criticism over the disappearance of tigers from Sariska.
The Sariska reserve, originally a hunting preserve of the erstwhile princely state of Alwar, was declared a wildlife reserve in 1955. It got the status of a national park in 1979.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks