Rare migratory bird sighted
Thiruvananthapuram: A migratory bird Saunders`s Tern, rarely seen in southern parts of Kerala, has been spotted at the surroundings of Veli lake, a major tourist spot near here.
The members of Warblers and Waders, a forum of bird watchers, found the bird variety, belonging to the Sternidae family of terns, during a recent survey.
A flock, comprising 13 Saunders`s Terns (Sternula saundersi), were spotted around the Veli lake and estuary, a major landing site of winged visitors, C Sushanth, a member of the forum, said.
He said it was the first time they could successfully photograph the birds and confirm the presence of Saunders`s Tern.
The bird variety, usually sighted in shallow tropical and subtropical inshore waters, estuaries, tidal lagoons and harbours, could travel up to 15 km offshore to feed.
The other major birds spotted during the survey were Sanderling, Bar-tailed Godwit, Whiskered Tern and Gull-billed Tern, he added.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- DNA: Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; Seven Pak Rangers killed
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you