Rare migratory bird sighted
Thiruvananthapuram: A migratory bird Saunders`s Tern, rarely seen in southern parts of Kerala, has been spotted at the surroundings of Veli lake, a major tourist spot near here.
The members of Warblers and Waders, a forum of bird watchers, found the bird variety, belonging to the Sternidae family of terns, during a recent survey.
A flock, comprising 13 Saunders`s Terns (Sternula saundersi), were spotted around the Veli lake and estuary, a major landing site of winged visitors, C Sushanth, a member of the forum, said.
He said it was the first time they could successfully photograph the birds and confirm the presence of Saunders`s Tern.
The bird variety, usually sighted in shallow tropical and subtropical inshore waters, estuaries, tidal lagoons and harbours, could travel up to 15 km offshore to feed.
The other major birds spotted during the survey were Sanderling, Bar-tailed Godwit, Whiskered Tern and Gull-billed Tern, he added.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Valour of a soldier: CRPF officer Satwant Singh fights Naxals till his last breath
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Virat Kohli's 'shot of the year' already has a big challenger – See video to believe!