Rare migratory bird sighted
Thiruvananthapuram: A migratory bird Saunders`s Tern, rarely seen in southern parts of Kerala, has been spotted at the surroundings of Veli lake, a major tourist spot near here.
The members of Warblers and Waders, a forum of bird watchers, found the bird variety, belonging to the Sternidae family of terns, during a recent survey.
A flock, comprising 13 Saunders`s Terns (Sternula saundersi), were spotted around the Veli lake and estuary, a major landing site of winged visitors, C Sushanth, a member of the forum, said.
He said it was the first time they could successfully photograph the birds and confirm the presence of Saunders`s Tern.
The bird variety, usually sighted in shallow tropical and subtropical inshore waters, estuaries, tidal lagoons and harbours, could travel up to 15 km offshore to feed.
The other major birds spotted during the survey were Sanderling, Bar-tailed Godwit, Whiskered Tern and Gull-billed Tern, he added.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Terrorist outfit IS releases hitlist; 4000 people including 285 Indians targeted
- Mumbai: Woman missing after falling in manhole
- Mann Ki Baat: PM recalls dark days of 1975 Emergency, says democracy is our strength
- Mann Ki Baat: Conserve every drop of water, says PM
- PM Modi launches 'Smart City Project' in Pune
- IIFA 2016: Why should Oscars become benchmark to celebrate Indian cinema, asks Anupam Kher
- US floods: 24 dead in West Virginia; search and rescue continues
- Pampore terror attack: PM Narendra Modi pained by demise of CRPF jawans, salutes their courage
- PM Narendra Modi to share his thoughts in 21st edition of 'Mann Ki Baat' today
- IIFA Awards 2016: Here is the list of winners