Rays found on Mexican beach were dumped
Mexico City: The more than 200 stingrays and manta rays found on popular tourist beaches in the eastern Mexican state of Veracruz last week were dumped in the area and did not die from ingesting toxic substances, environmental officials said.
"It is presumed that these animals were discarded and dumped directly in the beach area" because rays "sink to the bottom when they die", federal environmental protection agency chief Francisco Moreno Merino said in a letter to MVS radio.
Examinations of several of the animals turned up lacerations on their bodies around the fins, Merino said.
A total of 219 rays were found July 16 scattered on the popular tourist beach in Chachalacas, a district in the city of Ursulo Galvan, located 35 km from the Gulf city of Veracruz.
Fishermen and tourists notified officials that hundreds of rays had washed up on the beaches in Chachalacas, an area known for its dunes and popular with practitioners of extreme sports.
Investigators have ruled out the possibility that state-owned oil giant Petroleos Mexicanos, or Pemex, is responsible for the incident because no vessels belonging to the company sailed through the area, Moreno said.
"The necropsies showed that the digestive tracts were full of food and no remnants of pollutants or toxic substances were found," Moreno said, adding that authorities planned to step up patrols in the area.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened