Relocating Asiatic lions: Gujarat has not given up
Ahmedabad: Gujarat government would be exploring "all legal options" to challenge the Supreme Court verdict on relocation of Asiatic lions to neighbouring Madhya Pradesh.
"We have received the full judgement and after going through it decided to explore all legal options against the verdict," Finance Minister and state spokesperson Nitin Patel said here today.
Sources said the matter was discussed at the state cabinet meeting chaired by Chief Minister Narendra Modi today.
The state government will fight till all legal options are exhausted, sources said.
Gir sanctuary in Gujarat is the only home to Asiatic lions, an endangered species. The apex court had on Monday directed the Centre to shift some Gir lions to Kuno sanctuary in Madhya
Pradesh on the ground that the animals need a second home to prevent their extinction in the case of disasters such as epidemic or wild-fire in Gir.
Patel had earlier said Gujarat government felt the relocation was not desirable as it was "an emotional issue" for the people of the state whose efforts had led to increase in the number of lions in the Gir.
A century ago, Gir had housed around 100 Asiatic lions. The number, as per 2010 census, stood at over 400.
The state government can file a review petition in the Supreme Court, sources said.
Meanwhile, a bandh has been called tomorrow at Sasan area where Gir sanctuary is located.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- DNA: Inside story of Indian Army's surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read