Rescued Greater Adjutant Stork released in the wild
Guwahati: A Greater Adjutant Stork, rescued and rehabilitated by locals and conservationists, was Wednesday released in the wild here.
The stork, named `Arshiya` by her rescuers, was released at Boragaon by the Assam State Zoo Divisional Forest Officer Chandan Bora at an initiative of `Aaranyak`, a conservation organisation, in cooperation with the Bombay Natural History Society (BNHS) and College of Veterinary Science, Khanapara.
"We are very proud to be a part of the bird`s rehabilitation and Assam State Zoo team is committed for such endeavour in future," Bora said after releasing the bird.
Boragaon is a popular feeding habitat of this stork.
The bird was earlier found in a marooned condition in Dadara village near Guwahati and was rescued by local villagers and a group of conservationists.
The doctors of the rescue team provided initial critical care to this bird and after its condition stabilised, it was admitted to Assam State Zoo.
The bird is a member of the globally endangered Greater Adjutant Stork family, distributed in Assam and Bihar in India and a few places in Cambodia, with its global population standing less than 1000.
The bird was named by the rescuers after a school student Arshiya Mahanta for her dedication towards conservation of wildlife.
Aaranyak`s Purnima Devi Barman, who is spearheading a conservation programme for conservation of these storks, appealed to all fellow nature lovers and forest department to help reduce the threat faced by this bird.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- Meanwhile, Russian forces arrive in Pakistan for `Friendship 2016` joint military drill