Rhino calf carcass recovered in flooded Pobitora
Pobitora (Assam): The carcass of a new-born male rhino calf was recovered in Pobitora Wildlife Sanctuary (PWS), which is now under flood waters forcing animals to take shelter in buffer zones.
The carcass of the 15-day old rhino baby was found by forest staff during patrolling in the flood-hit sanctuary that boasts of having world`s highest density of one-horn rhinoceros, Forest department sources said.
The calf, was claimed by the sources, to have died due to floods and not killed by poachers.
There have been four natural deaths of rhinos, including the calf, this year, while poachers have killed two others so far in PWS, the sources said.
More than 90 per cent of the 38.8 sq km Wildlife Sanctuary are inundated by the overflowing rivers that have forced the rhinos and other animals, including leopard, wild boar, barking deer, wild buffalo, to take shelter in the high buffer zones set up within the sanctuary, they said.
Forest security forces have launched 24-hour vigil to keep rhinos and other animals safe in the Pobitora Sanctuary near Guwahati.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Fateh Ka Fatwa: Is it time to introduce reforms in Muslim laws?
- BJP MLA Vikram Saini accused of voicing controversial statement
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's speech at Gorakhnath temple
- DNA: Analysing the 'no first use' nuclear policy of India
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!
- Those ready to work 20 hours daily are welcome, rest can leave - UP CM Yogi Adityanath's message to govt officials
- SSC CGL Official Notification 2017 expected to be released soon at ssc.nic.in