Rhino calf killed, horn taken
Guwahati: Forest officials in Assam`s Manas National Park have recovered the carcass of a male rhino calf, with its horn missing, an official said Wednesday.
The rhino`s ears, nails and tails were also found missing. Park officials said all this indicated it was a case of poaching, adding that the animal was six years old.
"The carcass was spotted yesterday (Tuesday) during a routine patrolling by the guards. It was found near the Katajhar area located on the southern side of the park," a forest official said adding that it was killed about two days back.
This is the fifth rhino killed in the park since 2011 and the third one killed this year.
Forest officials said the rhino calf was translocated to Manas from Kaziranga National Park last year along with its mother under the Indian Rhino Vision 2020 project which aims at attaining 3,000 plus rhino population in all the protected areas of Assam.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Don't give any importance to Ramgopal Yadav's remarks: Mulayam Singh Yadav
- Watch: Report on delayed development in Ayodhya
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- National Geographic's famed ''Afghan Girl'' arrested in Pakistan for forgery
- India vs New Zealand, 4th ODI: As it happened...
- Hrithik Roshan, Yami Gautam's 'Kaabil' trailer shocks Rakesh Roshan