Rhino calf killed, horn taken
Guwahati: Forest officials in Assam`s Manas National Park have recovered the carcass of a male rhino calf, with its horn missing, an official said Wednesday.
The rhino`s ears, nails and tails were also found missing. Park officials said all this indicated it was a case of poaching, adding that the animal was six years old.
"The carcass was spotted yesterday (Tuesday) during a routine patrolling by the guards. It was found near the Katajhar area located on the southern side of the park," a forest official said adding that it was killed about two days back.
This is the fifth rhino killed in the park since 2011 and the third one killed this year.
Forest officials said the rhino calf was translocated to Manas from Kaziranga National Park last year along with its mother under the Indian Rhino Vision 2020 project which aims at attaining 3,000 plus rhino population in all the protected areas of Assam.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre