Rhino calf killed, horn taken
Guwahati: Forest officials in Assam`s Manas National Park have recovered the carcass of a male rhino calf, with its horn missing, an official said Wednesday.
The rhino`s ears, nails and tails were also found missing. Park officials said all this indicated it was a case of poaching, adding that the animal was six years old.
"The carcass was spotted yesterday (Tuesday) during a routine patrolling by the guards. It was found near the Katajhar area located on the southern side of the park," a forest official said adding that it was killed about two days back.
This is the fifth rhino killed in the park since 2011 and the third one killed this year.
Forest officials said the rhino calf was translocated to Manas from Kaziranga National Park last year along with its mother under the Indian Rhino Vision 2020 project which aims at attaining 3,000 plus rhino population in all the protected areas of Assam.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kalam's advisor recalls his last moments with the great scientist
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- India mourns APJ Abdul Kalam; PM to receive body at Palam airport
- Kalam's body flown to Delhi; PM, Prez lead nation in paying homage
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- SC hearing on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's curative plea
- India's 'original rocket man': Abdul Kalam's phenomenal contribution to Science
- Parliament pays tributes to Dr APJ Abdul Kalam, calls him 'real gem' of India
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?