Rhino calf killed, horn taken
Guwahati: Forest officials in Assam`s Manas National Park have recovered the carcass of a male rhino calf, with its horn missing, an official said Wednesday.
The rhino`s ears, nails and tails were also found missing. Park officials said all this indicated it was a case of poaching, adding that the animal was six years old.
"The carcass was spotted yesterday (Tuesday) during a routine patrolling by the guards. It was found near the Katajhar area located on the southern side of the park," a forest official said adding that it was killed about two days back.
This is the fifth rhino killed in the park since 2011 and the third one killed this year.
Forest officials said the rhino calf was translocated to Manas from Kaziranga National Park last year along with its mother under the Indian Rhino Vision 2020 project which aims at attaining 3,000 plus rhino population in all the protected areas of Assam.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analyzing ground reality of life of poor and vagrant people in India
- DNA: Analysis of press conference between Rajnath Singh and Mehbooba Mufti on Kashmir violence
- DNA: Analysis of India's weaknesses in new inventions and discoveries
- DNA: Prasoon Joshi's hard-hitting poem depicting society's mentality towards females
- DNA: Encouraging the traditional Indian habit of eating food with hands
- Mauritius to remain major FDI source till March 2019: Experts
- Abhinav Bindra to head NRAI review committee on Rio debacle
- Now, WhatsApp to share your phone number with Facebook
- SHOCKING: Man performing stunt on high tension wire at Mumbai's Mira road station – Watch
- Bank of Baroda's total business takes Rs 90,000-crore hit in 2015-16