Rhino calf killed, horn taken
Guwahati: Forest officials in Assam`s Manas National Park have recovered the carcass of a male rhino calf, with its horn missing, an official said Wednesday.
The rhino`s ears, nails and tails were also found missing. Park officials said all this indicated it was a case of poaching, adding that the animal was six years old.
"The carcass was spotted yesterday (Tuesday) during a routine patrolling by the guards. It was found near the Katajhar area located on the southern side of the park," a forest official said adding that it was killed about two days back.
This is the fifth rhino killed in the park since 2011 and the third one killed this year.
Forest officials said the rhino calf was translocated to Manas from Kaziranga National Park last year along with its mother under the Indian Rhino Vision 2020 project which aims at attaining 3,000 plus rhino population in all the protected areas of Assam.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Munich attack: 18-year-old German-Iranian gunman kills 9 at shopping mall
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley?
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley? Part II
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley? Part III
- DNA: Analyzing the real problems of patriotic Kashmir's residents
- Obama vows support for Germany after Munich shooting
- Islamic State supporters hail deadly Munich shooting on social media
- 1st Test, Day 2 Report: Kohli double ton, Ashwin century put India in charge against West Indies
- Silicon Valley leads avalanche of quarterly reports
- UN backs plan to rid Libya of chemical weapons