Rhino death probe: WCCB team in Kaziranga
Guwahati: A four-member team of Wildlife Crime Control Bureau (WCCB) is in the Kaziranga National Park to probe the recent killing of rhinos by poachers.
The four-member team, comprising WCCB Regional Deputy Director C Behera A
K Jha, Assistant Director (Intelligence), A K Jha, Assistant Director L Kuruvilla and Wildlife Inspector K K Sarma arrived at the park yesterday, official sources said here today.
Union Environment Minister Jayanthi Natarajan had directed the WCCB to conduct the probe into the incidents of poaching and submit a report within a week.
The team, scheduled to stay for a week, would visit different parts of the park where the killing took place and also neighbouring Karbi Anglong district to investigate the recent incidents of rhino poaching.
Five rhinos have been killed and its horns removed by poachers since September 26 last and 18 rhinos have been killed during the current year.
Five rhinos have died in the ongoing third wave of floods in the world-famed park.
Meanwhile, 24 wildlife and environment related NGOs would hold a sit-in protest here tomorrow to demand arrest of those involved in the killing of rhinos and to bring in accountability within the forest department which is responsible for protection of the World Heritage Site.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why