Rhino death probe: WCCB team in Kaziranga
Guwahati: A four-member team of Wildlife Crime Control Bureau (WCCB) is in the Kaziranga National Park to probe the recent killing of rhinos by poachers.
The four-member team, comprising WCCB Regional Deputy Director C Behera A
K Jha, Assistant Director (Intelligence), A K Jha, Assistant Director L Kuruvilla and Wildlife Inspector K K Sarma arrived at the park yesterday, official sources said here today.
Union Environment Minister Jayanthi Natarajan had directed the WCCB to conduct the probe into the incidents of poaching and submit a report within a week.
The team, scheduled to stay for a week, would visit different parts of the park where the killing took place and also neighbouring Karbi Anglong district to investigate the recent incidents of rhino poaching.
Five rhinos have been killed and its horns removed by poachers since September 26 last and 18 rhinos have been killed during the current year.
Five rhinos have died in the ongoing third wave of floods in the world-famed park.
Meanwhile, 24 wildlife and environment related NGOs would hold a sit-in protest here tomorrow to demand arrest of those involved in the killing of rhinos and to bring in accountability within the forest department which is responsible for protection of the World Heritage Site.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Explosive photos and phone conversation – How Mikhail plans to expose Indrani Mukerjea
- Arvind Kejriwal in Bihar, shown black flags at Patna airport
- After daughter Sheena, Indrani Mukerjea planned to kill son Mikhail?
- Sheena murder case: Rahul Mukerjea being questioned at undisclosed location
- Sheena Bora was introduced to me as aunt: Indrani Mukerjea-Sanjeev Khanna's daughter Vidhie