Rhino killed in Kaziranga National Park; toll 20
Jorhat: A male adult rhino was killed and its horn taken away by poachers in Kaziranga National Park in Assam in the wee hours today taking the rhino toll to 20 this year, said a forest official.
On hearing seven gun shots near Naharkatoni Forest Camp under Kohora Range of the Park after mid night, the KNP forest guards launched a search operation and recovered the carcass of the rhino this morning, Kohora Range Officer Rupak Bhuyan told PTI.
The carcass with its horn sawn off was recovered on the bank of river Dipholu on the southern side of the World Heritage Site, Bhuyan said.
Stating that the carcass bore several bullet wounds, he said a 303 rifle, eight empty and six live cartridges, an axe, two pairs of shoes and an empty liquor bottle were recovered from near the body.
The poachers were suspected to have come into the Park through river Brahmaputra, the forest official said.
A search operation has been launched to track out the poachers, Bhuyan added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- DNA: Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; Seven Pak Rangers killed
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you