River diversion, soil erosion threat turtle nesting
Berhampur: Erosion and diversion of Rushikulya river mouth in Odisha`s Ganjam district seems to be posing a serious threat to the annual mass nesting of the endangered Olive Ridley sea turtles.
The marine species started sporadic nesting in the area this season along the four-km-long stretch from Purunabandh to Gokharakuda near the Rushikulya river mouth.
"The entire site is now submerged due to shifting of the river mouth which is likely to cause problem for the Olive Ridley turtles to lay eggs in mass," said divisional forest officer, Berhampur, A K Jena.
They are likely to choose some other site for their annual nesting off Ganjam coast, he added.
Some experts, however, raised doubts over continuity of the mass nesting near the coast, when their traditional nesting site was wiped out. "If they don`t feel comfort, they may shift to other places," said a turtle expert.
Sporadic nesting, which took place in some places near the traditional mass nesting site, was not an indication of the mass-nesting in the same place, he clarified.
He said rapid erosion and shifting of the river mouth was due to the climate change and a natural phenomenon. Lakhs of Olive Ridley turtles, however, are seen swimming near the coastal area in Ganjam for nesting, wildlife officials said.
The DFO added that forest officials have kept ready other probable sites near the traditional mass-nesting site for Olive Ridley sea turtles.
"We have surveyed some of the probable sites off the Ganjam coast, where the turtles are likely to lay the eggs in mass on Saturday. We have asked the field staffs to keep a close watch on these probable sites," Jena added.
Meanwhile, about 100 children, mostly members of eco-clubs of five nearby high schools, took part in a cleaning drive on the coast to facilitate nesting of turtles.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan
- 'Intolerance brigade' attacks Zee News' #FatehKaFatwa host Tarek Fateh - WATCH