Rocks, minerals and fossils expo opens in Mumbai
Mumbai: The second edition of the `Rocks, Minerals and Fossils Exhibition`, which began here today, will conclude on January 7.
The event, being held at the Convocation Hall of the
University of Mumbai`s Fort campus, is a joint effort between
the Centre for Extra-Mural Studies of the University, the
India Study Centre, the Deccan College Post Graduate and
Research Institute, Pune and the Institute of Science, Mumbai.
The exhibition has brought together a unique
collection of rocks, minerals and fossils. The minerals
include a large number of beautiful crystalline geodes of
Amethyst, Citrine, Cavansite, Vanadinite, Fluorite; polished
balls of Agate, Carnelian, Onyx, Jasper and fossilised wood.
The fossils are divided into two groups, plant fossils
and animal fossils. The plant fossils date from the
Careboniferous (315 million years ago) to the Miocene (10
million years ago). These include dinosaur fossils and
extinct mega shark teeth from the Triassic, Jurassic and
Creataceous (250 to 65 million years ago) period.
The organisers are holding several activities for he
casual visitors and students. These include a number of
workshops on fossils, stone tool making, geology, gemology,
minerals and a number of spot quizzes.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Two J&K MLAs clash over beef party issue in Legislative Assembly
- Arvind Kejriwal takes U-turn on water promise, says BJP
- PM Modi breaks silence on Dadri lynching incident
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- Rahul Gandhi takes potshot at PM Narendra Modi's fashion sense - Watch
- Salman Khan's songs: Best five!