Rs six crore for modernising state zoo
Guwahati: Assam government today announced that an amount of Rs six crore would be spend for modernising of the State Zoo cum Botanical Garden during the current financial year.
"The growing consciousness towards wildlife conservation, particularly among the youth, is highly encouraging and it is our prime responsibility to conserve our fragile environment," Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi said during the inaugural session of four-day workshop on conservation of amphibians here.
Gogoi expressed hope that the workshop will go a long way in conserving nature for posterity and hence for better future of mankind.
He further emphasized the need for further research and studies for a holistic approach to conserve nature.
Assam Environment and Forest Minister Rakibul Hussain said that the state has a high diversity of amphibians with more than 50 species available and a workshop of this kind helps in knowing more about the species.
Hussain further stated that the objective of the workshop was to provide necessary skills for successful captive management and breeding of amphibians.
The workshop on Building National Capacity for Ex- situ Management and Conservation of Amphibians was organized by Central Zoo Authority, New Delhi in collaboration with Assam State Zoo and Durrell Wildlife Conservation Trust.
During the four-day workshop, the participants will be taken to Pobitora Wildlife Sanctuary and will be given practical sessions on breeding by trainers of Zoological Society of London and Durrell Wildlife Conservation Trust.
- DNA: Development in India is non-existent when people are dying of thirst and hunger
- DNA: Millions of tonnes of grains in warehouses go to waste while people die of hunger
- DNA: Analysis of how issues of importance are given no leverage in Parliament
- DNA: Mobile phone addiction takes on a new level; spreads like a disease
- DNA: Mobile phone addiction takes on a new level; spreads like a disease - PartII
- Goa MLA Atanasio Monserrate booked for raping minor
- Kasich dropping out of US presidential race: Report
- Indian woman wins gender discrimination case against Wipro in Britain
- Chopper deal: I blacklisted AgustaWestland, not UPA, says Arun Jaitley
- Israeli jets carry out raids on Gaza: Palestinian Ministry