Russia reopens drifting Arctic base
Moscow: Russia has officially reopened the Barneo-2013 drifting base in the Arctic, the Russian Geographical Society said.
The society`s first vice president Artur Chilingarov was quoted as saying that the Russian national flag and that of the society were hoisted above the station Tuesday to mark the official beginning of its work.
The Barneo research station has been set up annually since 2002 on an ice floe at a latitude of some 89 degrees north, approximately 110 km from the North Pole.
All equipment, food and other necessary supplies were flown to the location by plane in March.
At the moment, 56 people are working at the base. A group of Russian, French and US scientists is to arrive at the station later this week. More than 200 tourists are to visit the station before it closes April 25.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof