Russia reopens drifting Arctic base
Moscow: Russia has officially reopened the Barneo-2013 drifting base in the Arctic, the Russian Geographical Society said.
The society`s first vice president Artur Chilingarov was quoted as saying that the Russian national flag and that of the society were hoisted above the station Tuesday to mark the official beginning of its work.
The Barneo research station has been set up annually since 2002 on an ice floe at a latitude of some 89 degrees north, approximately 110 km from the North Pole.
All equipment, food and other necessary supplies were flown to the location by plane in March.
At the moment, 56 people are working at the base. A group of Russian, French and US scientists is to arrive at the station later this week. More than 200 tourists are to visit the station before it closes April 25.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- BMC election 2017 results LIVE: BJP's tally rises to 82 after Atul Shah wins in lottery, Shiv Sena bags 84; CM Fadnavis hails PM Modi's clean governance
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017 LIVE: Shiv Sena leads in Mumbai but BJP the big winner
- Solapur Municipal Corporation Elections 2017: Shiv Sena wins, BJP runners-up
- Thane Municipal Corporation Elections 2017 Results LIVE: Shiv Sena set for clear majority, leading in 51 seats, BJP in 17