Russian scientists name fossil reptile after Lenin
Moscow: Russian scientists, studying pre-historic life, have named a recently discovered fossil ichthyosaur after Vladimir Lenin, the father of the 1917 Bolshevik revolution, said the head of the Natural History Museum at Ulyanovsk State University.
The ichthyosaurs were large marine reptiles that are thought to have inhabited the Earth`s oceans in the Mesozoic era, a geological definition of a period of time stretching from about 251 million to 65 years ago.
Predecessors of today`s lizards and snakes, ichthyosaurs are not considered dinosaurs.
"The name Leninia stellans was agreed collegially. There is nothing strange about the name, many new discoveries are named after famous people," Gleb Uspensky, who heads the Natural History Museum at Ulyanovsk State University said.
The fossil dates from around 125 or 122 million years ago, according to the Paleobiology database.
Paleontologists found the incomplete skull several years ago near the village of Kriushi in the Sengileevsk region of Ulyanovsk.
"The skull was over a metre long. Externally the ichthyosaur resembled a modern-day dolphin, and fed on fish and mollusks," Uspensky said.
The fossil is being kept at the local history museum in Russia`s Ulyanovsk city.
In 2012, a team of researchers from the US universities of Yale and Harvard named a pre-historic lizard Obamadon gracilis, after Barack Obama, reportedly inspired by the US President`s "toothy grin."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- Kejriwal knew Tomar possessed fake degree, says Yogendra Yadav
- Shiv Sena slams HC order banning erection of pandals on roads
- Top leader of NSCN(K) arrested for Manipur attacks by NIA
- Vijender Singh turns professional boxer, to miss 2016 Rio Olympics
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Tihar Jail's security breached: Lt Governor Najeeb Jung orders probe, Centre seeks report
- Chinese military research academy praises India's main battle tank Arjun, says it's 'very good'
- Gangster Abu Salem ready to tie the knot with girl seeking to marry him
- Vijender Singh brings down curtains on India career, turns professional