SAARC to pitch for Cancun climate talks
Thimphu: Seeking a fresh approach to climate
talks, SAARC countries will pitch for observer status at the
Cancun conference on global warming later this year that would
enable them to articulate their collective concerns more
"The SAARC ministers will seek observer status at the
climate talks," Bhutanese Foreign Minister Khandu Wangchuk
told reporters here today after the meeting of the
eight-nation grouping`s Council of Ministers.
The next global climate talks are scheduled to be held in
Cancun in Mexico in December.
"The observer status will give us a time slot for SAARC
to speak a-t the COP (Conference of Parties)," Wangchuk said.
Though SAARC as a grouping had made a statement on their
concerns regarding climate change at the Copenhagen meet in
December last year, Sri Lanka had to use its slot for the
At the meeting of the Council of Ministers, External
Affairs Minister S M Krishna extended India`s support for "a
fresh SAARC position on Climate Change for COP 16 in
accordance with the United Nations Framework Convention on
Climate Change (UNFCCC) principles and the Bali Action Plan".
As per the UNFCCC and Bali Action Plan, rich countries
are supposed to undertake binding emission cuts while
developing nations to go for voluntary steps to tackle global
Climate change is the main theme of the 16th South Asian
Association for Regional Cooperation (SAARC) Summit being held
here and member countries have decided to sign a convention on
cooperation in protection of environment.
Krishna expressed hope that the dialogue on climate
change would be carried in a "meaningful manner" at the
The ministers also finalised the Special SAARC
Declaration on Climate Change.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, asked to leave India
- Panel discussion on the need of Pakistan's ambassador in India
- Ceasefire violations by Pak: Should India carry out surgical strike part-II?
- DNA: Zee Media's campaign to celebrate Diwali with soldier's family
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- Pakistan declares Indian High Commission official persona non grata, asks him to leave country
- VIRAL VIDEO: Damn cute! Why this 9-week-old's full head of hair is shocking the internet - WATCH
- I may not be with CM Akhilesh Yadav, but will always be with Mulayam Singh Yadav's son: Amar Singh