SAARC to pitch for Cancun climate talks
Thimphu: Seeking a fresh approach to climate
talks, SAARC countries will pitch for observer status at the
Cancun conference on global warming later this year that would
enable them to articulate their collective concerns more
"The SAARC ministers will seek observer status at the
climate talks," Bhutanese Foreign Minister Khandu Wangchuk
told reporters here today after the meeting of the
eight-nation grouping`s Council of Ministers.
The next global climate talks are scheduled to be held in
Cancun in Mexico in December.
"The observer status will give us a time slot for SAARC
to speak a-t the COP (Conference of Parties)," Wangchuk said.
Though SAARC as a grouping had made a statement on their
concerns regarding climate change at the Copenhagen meet in
December last year, Sri Lanka had to use its slot for the
At the meeting of the Council of Ministers, External
Affairs Minister S M Krishna extended India`s support for "a
fresh SAARC position on Climate Change for COP 16 in
accordance with the United Nations Framework Convention on
Climate Change (UNFCCC) principles and the Bali Action Plan".
As per the UNFCCC and Bali Action Plan, rich countries
are supposed to undertake binding emission cuts while
developing nations to go for voluntary steps to tackle global
Climate change is the main theme of the 16th South Asian
Association for Regional Cooperation (SAARC) Summit being held
here and member countries have decided to sign a convention on
cooperation in protection of environment.
Krishna expressed hope that the dialogue on climate
change would be carried in a "meaningful manner" at the
The ministers also finalised the Special SAARC
Declaration on Climate Change.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- LIVE: Prayers being held for Yakub Memon at Bada Kabristan before his burial
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened