Saplings planted on International Biodiversity Day
Kohima: Saplings were planted on International Biodiversity Day today in Nagaland as stress was laid on the importance of conserving forests for the services it provides to the people.
State PCCF, Dr C L Goel highlighted the importance of conservation of biodiversity especially at the genetic level to improve genetic stock of important species be it in the medicinal sector or in terms of food security, which is also known as eugenics.
He stressed on the importance of plant life in terms of water availability and urged everyone to plant more trees and conserve biodiversity.
Delivering the keynote address Additional PCCF (Environment and Climate Change), Lokewara Rao said that forests are very important in the water cycle as catchment areas and urged for the conservation of forests.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Cabinet meeting on 7th Pay Commission may approve higher salaries for govt employees
- Cabinet meeting on 7th Pay Commission may approve higher salaries for govt employees - Part II
- Monsoon havoc: Delhi lacks proper drainage system
- SC rejects plea seeking ban on WhatsApp messaging app
- 7th Pay Commission: Cabinet approves pay hike for govt employees
- Cameron tells EU free movement reform `key` to post-Brexit ties: UK govt source
- Shocking! Teenage girl gang-raped inside Delhi school by friend, security guard
- Soon, education till Class 10 may become free
- US, European stocks rise, ending Brexit rout
- Italy, Netherlands offer to share UN council seat