Saplings planted on International Biodiversity Day
Kohima: Saplings were planted on International Biodiversity Day today in Nagaland as stress was laid on the importance of conserving forests for the services it provides to the people.
State PCCF, Dr C L Goel highlighted the importance of conservation of biodiversity especially at the genetic level to improve genetic stock of important species be it in the medicinal sector or in terms of food security, which is also known as eugenics.
He stressed on the importance of plant life in terms of water availability and urged everyone to plant more trees and conserve biodiversity.
Delivering the keynote address Additional PCCF (Environment and Climate Change), Lokewara Rao said that forests are very important in the water cycle as catchment areas and urged for the conservation of forests.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kejriwal knew Tomar possessed fake degree, says Yogendra Yadav
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- Shiv Sena slams HC order banning erection of pandals on roads
- Top leader of NSCN(K) arrested for Manipur attacks by NIA
- Vijender Singh turns professional boxer, to miss 2016 Rio Olympics
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Tihar Jail's security breached: Lt Governor Najeeb Jung orders probe, Centre seeks report
- #SelfieWithDaughter trends worldwide on Twitter after PM Modi's 'Mann Ki Baat'
- Chinese military research academy praises India's main battle tank Arjun, says it's 'very good'
- Gangster Abu Salem ready to tie the knot with girl seeking to marry him