Sariska tiger was poisoned: Forensic report
Jaipur: The tiger found dead in Sariska reserve last month was poisoned, according to a forensic report whose finding may lead to concern over the safety of other translocated big cats there.
"Organophosphorus insecticide was found in the viscera sample of the tiger by scientists at the Forensic Science Laboratory," Rajasthan Forest Minister Ram Lal Jaat told PTI today quoting the forensic report.
A senior forest and wildlife officer said that they have identified a man who they suspected had poisoned the tiger to death and the matter was being probed.
In a setback to efforts for reviving tiger population in Sariska, the carcass of a tiger identified as " ST-1"—one of the five tigers translocated to the Sariska reserve since 2008 was found dead on November 14. Sariska lost all its native tigers by 2004-05, mainly to poaching.
The report, submitted yesterday, proved true the apprehensions of Environment Minister Jairam Ramesh.
During his visit to the park following the tiger`s death, Ramesh had expressed fears that it could be a case of poisoning and had admitted there was failure of "governance and administration".
Taking serious note of the death of the tiger, the state government initiated an enqurity and suspended two senior officials- Divisional Forest Officer B Praveen and Assistant Conservator of Forest Mukesh Saini- on the charge of dereliction of duty on November 16.
A dew days later, the government transferred Field Director and Chief Conservator of Forest (CCF), Sariska, K K Garg to Kota, and suspended a forest guard Ramgopal on the charge of dereliction of duty.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Muslims worldwide had celebrated after 9/11: Donald Trump
- PM Modi congratulates Zee News for its efforts to promote energy conservation
- Reptile fossil explains how snakes lost their legs
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way