Sariska tiger was poisoned: Forensic report
Jaipur: The tiger found dead in Sariska reserve last month was poisoned, according to a forensic report whose finding may lead to concern over the safety of other translocated big cats there.
"Organophosphorus insecticide was found in the viscera sample of the tiger by scientists at the Forensic Science Laboratory," Rajasthan Forest Minister Ram Lal Jaat told PTI today quoting the forensic report.
A senior forest and wildlife officer said that they have identified a man who they suspected had poisoned the tiger to death and the matter was being probed.
In a setback to efforts for reviving tiger population in Sariska, the carcass of a tiger identified as " ST-1"—one of the five tigers translocated to the Sariska reserve since 2008 was found dead on November 14. Sariska lost all its native tigers by 2004-05, mainly to poaching.
The report, submitted yesterday, proved true the apprehensions of Environment Minister Jairam Ramesh.
During his visit to the park following the tiger`s death, Ramesh had expressed fears that it could be a case of poisoning and had admitted there was failure of "governance and administration".
Taking serious note of the death of the tiger, the state government initiated an enqurity and suspended two senior officials- Divisional Forest Officer B Praveen and Assistant Conservator of Forest Mukesh Saini- on the charge of dereliction of duty on November 16.
A dew days later, the government transferred Field Director and Chief Conservator of Forest (CCF), Sariska, K K Garg to Kota, and suspended a forest guard Ramgopal on the charge of dereliction of duty.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- Zee Media exclusive interview with victim of Uber molestation
- Maggi samples found unsafe: Delhi government
- DNA: Analysis of Vijay Mallya's 'fund transfer formula'
- IMD forecasts 'deficient' Monsoon, drought-like conditions expected
- Was asked to call Sunanda Pushkar’s death `natural`: AIIMS doctor
- Maggi row: Delhi registers case against Nestle, Kerala withdraws stock from govt stores
- Rahul Gandhi hails BR Ambedkar, takes potshot at Modi-led NDA govt over IIT Madras row
- From being the ‘Dabangg’ girl to ‘Akira’ - Sonakshi Sinha’s journey so far
- China ship carrying 458 on board sinks in Yangtze River: Five dead, hundreds missing