Sariska tiger was poisoned: Forensic report
Jaipur: The tiger found dead in Sariska reserve last month was poisoned, according to a forensic report whose finding may lead to concern over the safety of other translocated big cats there.
"Organophosphorus insecticide was found in the viscera sample of the tiger by scientists at the Forensic Science Laboratory," Rajasthan Forest Minister Ram Lal Jaat told PTI today quoting the forensic report.
A senior forest and wildlife officer said that they have identified a man who they suspected had poisoned the tiger to death and the matter was being probed.
In a setback to efforts for reviving tiger population in Sariska, the carcass of a tiger identified as " ST-1"—one of the five tigers translocated to the Sariska reserve since 2008 was found dead on November 14. Sariska lost all its native tigers by 2004-05, mainly to poaching.
The report, submitted yesterday, proved true the apprehensions of Environment Minister Jairam Ramesh.
During his visit to the park following the tiger`s death, Ramesh had expressed fears that it could be a case of poisoning and had admitted there was failure of "governance and administration".
Taking serious note of the death of the tiger, the state government initiated an enqurity and suspended two senior officials- Divisional Forest Officer B Praveen and Assistant Conservator of Forest Mukesh Saini- on the charge of dereliction of duty on November 16.
A dew days later, the government transferred Field Director and Chief Conservator of Forest (CCF), Sariska, K K Garg to Kota, and suspended a forest guard Ramgopal on the charge of dereliction of duty.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre