Sariska tiger was poisoned: Forensic report
Jaipur: The tiger found dead in Sariska reserve last month was poisoned, according to a forensic report whose finding may lead to concern over the safety of other translocated big cats there.
"Organophosphorus insecticide was found in the viscera sample of the tiger by scientists at the Forensic Science Laboratory," Rajasthan Forest Minister Ram Lal Jaat told PTI today quoting the forensic report.
A senior forest and wildlife officer said that they have identified a man who they suspected had poisoned the tiger to death and the matter was being probed.
In a setback to efforts for reviving tiger population in Sariska, the carcass of a tiger identified as " ST-1"—one of the five tigers translocated to the Sariska reserve since 2008 was found dead on November 14. Sariska lost all its native tigers by 2004-05, mainly to poaching.
The report, submitted yesterday, proved true the apprehensions of Environment Minister Jairam Ramesh.
During his visit to the park following the tiger`s death, Ramesh had expressed fears that it could be a case of poisoning and had admitted there was failure of "governance and administration".
Taking serious note of the death of the tiger, the state government initiated an enqurity and suspended two senior officials- Divisional Forest Officer B Praveen and Assistant Conservator of Forest Mukesh Saini- on the charge of dereliction of duty on November 16.
A dew days later, the government transferred Field Director and Chief Conservator of Forest (CCF), Sariska, K K Garg to Kota, and suspended a forest guard Ramgopal on the charge of dereliction of duty.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Political war of words erupts over Yakub Memon's execution
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How do you cope up with ever changing environment in life?
- Exclusive interview with APJ Abdul Kalam’s aide Srijan Pal Singh
- Russian aircraft Mi-28 crashes during an aerobatics show
- Shravan month begins, devotees throng Shiva temples
- Yakub Memon's execution: Supreme Court Deputy Registrar quits over judgement
- Govt formalises strategies to counter ISIS threat, maintain internal security
- Manbir Kaur becomes first Sikh girl in Pakistan to top Class 10 exam
- Here's what Islamic State captors told Indian teachers
- 2nd T20: Shahid Afridi, Anwar Ali help Pakistan win thriller against Sri Lanka