Sasan bandh against SC verdict on trans-location of lions
Rajkot: Villages and towns around the Gir wildlife sanctuary located in Junagadh district including Sasan village today observed a total bandh to protest the Supreme Court ruling on trans-location of some of the Asiatic lions to Madhya Pradesh.
The bandh call was given by Gir Nature Club and supported by various organisations - including trade unions, Sasan Hotel association and guide association.
A rally was today taken out which submitted a memorandum to the Sasan Mamlatdar in this regard, Sasan Hotel Association secretary Pyaru Vadsariya said.
Sasan is a village on the boundary of Gir sanctuary and is the main entry point to it.
The Supreme Court had on Monday allowed trans-location of Asiatic lions from Gujarat to Madhya Pradesh, saying the species is under threat of extinction and needs a second home.
"We respect our judicial system but the decision on shifting of lions to Madhya Pradesh has been taken without proper scrutiny," the memorandum said.
"Trans-location of some Asiatic lions to Madhya Pradesh is improper because in the past some lions were shifted there and could not match the atmosphere there and failed to survive," it said adding that "Gir is the only place where the atmosphere is suitable to the Asiatic lions."
Gujarat Finance Minister and state spokesperson Nitin Patel had yesterday said that the state government would be exploring "all legal options" against the SC verdict.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- LIVE: Yakub Memon buried at Chandanwadi's Bada Kabristan in Mumbai
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened