Saudi, China scientists decode camel DNA
Riyadh: Scientists from Saudi Arabia and
China said on Wednesday that they had completed mapping the genome of the Arabian camel.
It took 20 scientists from Riyadh`s King Abdulaziz
City for Science and Technology and China`s Shenzhen-based BGI
- formerly the Beijing Genomics Institute - more than one year
to decode the entire genetic makeup of the single-humped
camel, Camelus dromedarius, the omnipresent native of the
"The Arabian camel today enters a highly exclusive
club of selected few mammals which have had their full genome
sequenced and analysed," the two institutions said in a joint
Sequencing and analysing the entire camel genome,
which has "remarkable similarities" to cattle, could lead to a
better understanding of the camel`s ability to survive in the
harsh desert environment, they said.
Unlocking the genetics underpinning the camel`s immune
system could lead to potential medical discoveries, and the
genome data can also help scientists understand better how the
mammal produces its highly nutritious and medically valuable
milk, they said.
"The sequencing of the camel genome achieved by KACST
and BGI will contribute greatly to the world-wide genomics and
post genomics research," said BGI president Jian Wang.
"We look forward to further expand our understanding
of the camel`s physiological and biochemical characteristics
and to bring it to application for the benefit of mankind," he
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Mumbai Film City shoot-out: CCTV footage help police arrest assailants
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- What couldn't be done in last 10 years, NDA govt did in one year: Smriti Irani in Amethi
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27