Save Ganga: Activists to stage demonstration in Delhi on June 18
Varanasi: A group of activists today announced that they would hold a demonstration in Jantar Mantar in Delhi on June 18 to demand cleaning up of Ganga river.
"Thousands of Ganga Devotees along with the `Ganga Rath`, after passing through Allahabad, Kanpur, Etava, Matura, Ferozabad will finally reach the Delhi on June 17," Swami Avimukteshwaranand Saraswati, the convener of the Ganga Seva Abhiyanam, said today.
Along with Avimukteshwaranand, 100 Ganga activists pledged to save the holy river.
Avimukteshwaranand, Priest of Sree Annpurna Math, Rameshvar Puri and Congress MLA from Pindara, Ajay Rai flagged off the yatra.
Ganga Seva Abhiyanam began `Save Ganga Movement` from January 14 when Swami Gyan Swarup Sanad (noted environmentalist Prof G D Agrawal) started his fast.
Later he went on fast-unto-death on March 9 for the cause, but following deterioration in health, he was admitted to AIIMS in Delhi, where Union coal minister Sriprakash Jaiswal assured him of action.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Essel Group Chairman Dr Subhash Chandra honoured in Haryana
- Watch: PM Modi's 23rd edition of Mann ki Baat
- Vishal Dadlani apologises after tweet on Jain monk backfires
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk - Part II
- Italy mourns quake victims, death toll rises to 291
- Kriti Sanon can't wait to watch 'MS Dhoni - The Untold Story'
- Indian women's hockey stars humiliated, made to sit on floor of train on way back home from Rio
- Donald Trump vows 'tracking system' to deport everyone whose visa expires
- Rockets fired at Turkey's Diyarbakir airport