Save Ganga: Activists to stage demonstration in Delhi on June 18
Varanasi: A group of activists today announced that they would hold a demonstration in Jantar Mantar in Delhi on June 18 to demand cleaning up of Ganga river.
"Thousands of Ganga Devotees along with the `Ganga Rath`, after passing through Allahabad, Kanpur, Etava, Matura, Ferozabad will finally reach the Delhi on June 17," Swami Avimukteshwaranand Saraswati, the convener of the Ganga Seva Abhiyanam, said today.
Along with Avimukteshwaranand, 100 Ganga activists pledged to save the holy river.
Avimukteshwaranand, Priest of Sree Annpurna Math, Rameshvar Puri and Congress MLA from Pindara, Ajay Rai flagged off the yatra.
Ganga Seva Abhiyanam began `Save Ganga Movement` from January 14 when Swami Gyan Swarup Sanad (noted environmentalist Prof G D Agrawal) started his fast.
Later he went on fast-unto-death on March 9 for the cause, but following deterioration in health, he was admitted to AIIMS in Delhi, where Union coal minister Sriprakash Jaiswal assured him of action.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town
- Naya Bazar explosion: Home Ministry seeks report from Delhi Police; one dead, 5 injured