Save Ganga: Activists to stage demonstration in Delhi on June 18
Varanasi: A group of activists today announced that they would hold a demonstration in Jantar Mantar in Delhi on June 18 to demand cleaning up of Ganga river.
"Thousands of Ganga Devotees along with the `Ganga Rath`, after passing through Allahabad, Kanpur, Etava, Matura, Ferozabad will finally reach the Delhi on June 17," Swami Avimukteshwaranand Saraswati, the convener of the Ganga Seva Abhiyanam, said today.
Along with Avimukteshwaranand, 100 Ganga activists pledged to save the holy river.
Avimukteshwaranand, Priest of Sree Annpurna Math, Rameshvar Puri and Congress MLA from Pindara, Ajay Rai flagged off the yatra.
Ganga Seva Abhiyanam began `Save Ganga Movement` from January 14 when Swami Gyan Swarup Sanad (noted environmentalist Prof G D Agrawal) started his fast.
Later he went on fast-unto-death on March 9 for the cause, but following deterioration in health, he was admitted to AIIMS in Delhi, where Union coal minister Sriprakash Jaiswal assured him of action.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- DNA: Should strict action be taken against stone pelters of J&K?
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- Gautam Gambhir gives Aussies perfect send-off, says true champions let their game do all the talking!
- Here's why Donald Trump called PM Narendra Modi