Save Ganga: Activists to stage demonstration in Delhi on June 18
Varanasi: A group of activists today announced that they would hold a demonstration in Jantar Mantar in Delhi on June 18 to demand cleaning up of Ganga river.
"Thousands of Ganga Devotees along with the `Ganga Rath`, after passing through Allahabad, Kanpur, Etava, Matura, Ferozabad will finally reach the Delhi on June 17," Swami Avimukteshwaranand Saraswati, the convener of the Ganga Seva Abhiyanam, said today.
Along with Avimukteshwaranand, 100 Ganga activists pledged to save the holy river.
Avimukteshwaranand, Priest of Sree Annpurna Math, Rameshvar Puri and Congress MLA from Pindara, Ajay Rai flagged off the yatra.
Ganga Seva Abhiyanam began `Save Ganga Movement` from January 14 when Swami Gyan Swarup Sanad (noted environmentalist Prof G D Agrawal) started his fast.
Later he went on fast-unto-death on March 9 for the cause, but following deterioration in health, he was admitted to AIIMS in Delhi, where Union coal minister Sriprakash Jaiswal assured him of action.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India