Save Ganga: Activists to stage demonstration in Delhi on June 18
Varanasi: A group of activists today announced that they would hold a demonstration in Jantar Mantar in Delhi on June 18 to demand cleaning up of Ganga river.
"Thousands of Ganga Devotees along with the `Ganga Rath`, after passing through Allahabad, Kanpur, Etava, Matura, Ferozabad will finally reach the Delhi on June 17," Swami Avimukteshwaranand Saraswati, the convener of the Ganga Seva Abhiyanam, said today.
Along with Avimukteshwaranand, 100 Ganga activists pledged to save the holy river.
Avimukteshwaranand, Priest of Sree Annpurna Math, Rameshvar Puri and Congress MLA from Pindara, Ajay Rai flagged off the yatra.
Ganga Seva Abhiyanam began `Save Ganga Movement` from January 14 when Swami Gyan Swarup Sanad (noted environmentalist Prof G D Agrawal) started his fast.
Later he went on fast-unto-death on March 9 for the cause, but following deterioration in health, he was admitted to AIIMS in Delhi, where Union coal minister Sriprakash Jaiswal assured him of action.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- SP leader seeks RS seat for Yakub's wife, sacked
- Political war of words erupts over Yakub Memon's execution
- Exclusive chat with Bajrangi Bhaijaan's Munni aka Harshaali Malhotra
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How do you cope up with ever changing environment in life?
- Mumbai: Woman pushed off from running local train by robbers
- Watch: Passenger plane dangerously oscillates before touching runway
- Yakub Memon's execution: Supreme Court Deputy Registrar quits over judgement
- Indian Army finds cow bombs near border, Maoists hand suspected?
- Delhi's graduate beggar – The amount he earns will shock you!
- Govt formalises strategies to counter ISIS threat, maintain internal security