Save Yamuna campaign: March reaches Vrindavan
Mathura/Vrindavan: The ascetics on a march to demand release of water into the drying and polluted Yamuna and cleaning of the river reached Vrindavan Tuesday morning.
The march to save the Yamuna started March 2 from Sangam - the confluence of the Ganga and the Yamuna - in Allahabad to Delhi.
After leaving Agra Saturday, the march entered Braj dham, mobilising support from Sri Krishna devotees and villagers along the river bank.
Ramesh Baba, the high priest and patriarch of Barsana, at whose initiative the march was started, accused central leaders and other politicians for ignoring the issue for far too long.
"If the Yamuna dies, the Braj sanskriti (culture), the Sri Krishna bhakti (devotion) and Hindu religion would also suffer. It is no longer a local or a regional issue, but a national one. The rivers of India have to be saved," he told the marchers.
The march is attracting attention and several civil society groups have now joined the campaign march which is scheduled to reach New Delhi by April 15.
A large number of NRIs have joined the march. "Many groups in the US were supporting the cause, and writing letters to the president (Pratibha Patil) and the prime minister (Manmohan Singh)," according to the rally organisers.
The Yamuna Bachao marchers reached Mathura Monday morning.
"If the central government refused to accept our demands, we will open the gates and damage the upstream barrages on Yamuna," Baba Jai Krishan Das, convener of the march, announced at a rally in Mathura Monday evening.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’