SC asks IITs to prepare project outline for cleaning Yamuna
New Delhi: The Supreme Court today asked the directors of IIT, Delhi and Roorkee to prepare a new project for cleaning Yamuna observing that the current project has failed despite a spending of Rs 12,000 crore in two decades.
A bench of justices Swatanter Kumar and Madan B Lokur directed the environment and forest ministry`s secretary to convene a meeting of all relevant authorities and IIT directors to discuss the project to be formulated by them.
"We like you to take up the project minutely. Prepare an outline of the project to clean the river. We have got impression that it is impossible to clean the river until drastic steps are taken," the bench told the directors who were personally present in the court.
The bench said the meeting must be attended by heads of DDA, MCD, Delhi Jal Board, representative of lieutenant governor, chief secretary of Haryana and amicus curiae who is assisting the court in the Yamuna cleaning matter.
The meeting is to be held on January 12 and the outline of the project would be placed before the apex court on February 8.
"Give us an outline of the project and we will give you a team to implement the project," the bench said adding that "Yamuna has got worse by day since 1994".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why