SC seeks status report on states` tiger conservation plans
New Delhi: Making it clear that there would be no let up in efforts to save tigers, the Supreme Court Thursday asked the National Tiger Conservation Authority (NTCA) to file a status report on the states that have submitted conservation plans for approval following a direction last year.
"We have assumed jurisdiction on behalf of tigers as nobody is interested in them," a bench of Justice A.K.Patnaik and Justice M.Y. Eqbal said.
The court asked Additional Solicitor General Indira Jaising to file a status report on which state governments had complied with its Oct 16, 2012, directions for preparing a tiger conservation plan (TCP) for the NTCA`s approval.
By the order, the court, while lifting ban on tourism-related activities in core areas of tiger reserves, had asked the concerned state governments to prepare conservation plans within six months.
As some applicants wanted to make submission in respect of the guidelines issued by the NTCA Oct 15, 2012, Justice Patnaik then said that anyone who is aggrieved by the said guidelines can move the court challenging them.
Meanwhile, the court gave Madhya Pradesh government another six months time to prepare a TCP for its Panna Tiger Reserve.
Appearing for the Madhya Pradesh government, senior counsel Vivek Tankha told the court that tigers were reintroduced in Panna and entire wild life department staff including its field director were involved in the protection of grown-up cubs and the reintroduced tigers.
The court was told that it was "very difficult" for the field director to prepare a meaningful TCP for the reserve - spread over 1578.551 square km that includes core as well as buffer zones -within the stipulated time period.
Since it was a time consuming exercise, the state government urged the court to grant it another six months time. The court was informed that Madhya Pradesh government had already submitted TCPs for its other five tiger reserves.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'