Science raises weighty question with travelling gnome
Paris: Physicists looking at anomalies in Earth`s gravity have turned to a garden gnome named Kern, which has been shipped around the globe to have himself weighed at locations ranging from Lima, Mumbai and Mexico to Sydney, New Caledonia and the South Pole.
The experiment is a twist on the "travelling gnome"prank, in which a garden ornament is mysteriously stolen, photographed at various locations -- with the pictures posted
on the Internet -- and then returned home.
The project promotes the wares of a German maker of hi-tech scales, but also has a serious application, by measuring differences in Earth`s gravity that also affect
"Most people don`t realise Earth`s gravity actually varies slightly," experiment coordinator Tommy Fimpel said in a press release.
"One of the main causes is variations in the shape of the planet. Believe it or not, the Earth is actually potato-shaped, so you`ll weigh up to 0.5 percent more or less,
depending on where you go. We thought our Gnome Experiment would be a fun way to measure the phenomenon."
Scientists who take part in the project receive a flight case that comprises Kern, of which only one has been made, plus a set of precision scales.
So far he has weighed most -- 309.82 grammes -- at the Amundsen-Scott Research Station in Antarctica, where the inertial pull produced by Earth`s rotation is strong.
His next stops are Snolab, a Canadian particle physics facility two kilometres below the surface of the Earth that is the deepest laboratory in the Earth, and the underground Large
Hadron Collider, the famous particle smasher at CERN in Switzerland.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India
- Helicopter crash kills six Vaishno Devi pilgrims, pilot near Katra; chopper service suspended