Scientists call off hunt for exotic life in the Antarctic lake
London: Researchers with the British Antarctic Survey have called off their mission to search for life in the Antarctic lake after a technical glitch played spoiled sport which resulted in the team facing difficulties with the drilling task.
The scientists wanted to drill Lake Ellsworth which is believed to have been in a frozen state for over hundreds of years. Their aim behind this drilling task was to uncover microbial life forms that may provide a new approach into the evolution of life on Earth.
Besides that they also hoped that the lake floor`s sediments might yield a new record of the Earth’s climate.
According to a statement posted to the survey’s website on Thursday said the operation had been canceled and it was not clear whether or not the scientists would try again.
(With Agency inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- WATCH: What a statement! When PM Narendra Modi blasted al-Qaida - 'Indian Muslims will live for India, die for India'
- Indian Railways: Check out the list of new rules from July 1
- IPL 2016: Points table, remaining fixtures, orange cap holder, purple cap holder
- Uttarakhand: Landslide, storm kill 11, injure many in Chakrata
- Frequent selfie takers less attractive?