`Scientists decode why parrots imitate people`
Washington: Parrots have exceptional ability to mimic sounds they hear, irrespective of whether they are domesticated or in the wild.
Researchers have now found that parrots posses this unique ability to mimic so that they could `begin a conversation` with a specific individual by mimicking their call.
One parrot species - the orange-fronted conure - may have evolved this ability in order to communicate with specific individuals in other flocks, according to researcher Thorsten Balsby from the University of Aarhus, Denmark and colleagues from the University of Copenhagen.
In the wild, orange-fronted conures live in dynamic flocks where individuals flit in and out, so each parrot encounters many different individuals every day. Each animal also has its own unique call.
Both in the wild and in the researcher`s experiments, parrots that heard an imitation of their own calls responded more frequently and faster to the calling individual than those that did not hear this imitation.
Based on these observations, researchers suggest that the parrots may have evolved their abilities as mimics so they could `begin a conversation` with a specific individual by mimicking their call.
The study was published in the journal `PLOS ONE`.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Air India lodges FIR against Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad for assaulting staffer
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM
- Should there be strict laws against cow slaughter? Uttar Pradesh CM Yogi Adityanath seeks public opinion