`Scientists decode why parrots imitate people`
Washington: Parrots have exceptional ability to mimic sounds they hear, irrespective of whether they are domesticated or in the wild.
Researchers have now found that parrots posses this unique ability to mimic so that they could `begin a conversation` with a specific individual by mimicking their call.
One parrot species - the orange-fronted conure - may have evolved this ability in order to communicate with specific individuals in other flocks, according to researcher Thorsten Balsby from the University of Aarhus, Denmark and colleagues from the University of Copenhagen.
In the wild, orange-fronted conures live in dynamic flocks where individuals flit in and out, so each parrot encounters many different individuals every day. Each animal also has its own unique call.
Both in the wild and in the researcher`s experiments, parrots that heard an imitation of their own calls responded more frequently and faster to the calling individual than those that did not hear this imitation.
Based on these observations, researchers suggest that the parrots may have evolved their abilities as mimics so they could `begin a conversation` with a specific individual by mimicking their call.
The study was published in the journal `PLOS ONE`.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch - Parrikar's reply to Mamata's military coup claim
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Scam? 'Aam Aadmi Party using Delhi Transport Corporation to exchange Rs 500, Rs 1,000 notes'