Scientists discover bacteria that can produce 24-carat gold
Washington: Scientists have discovered a bacteria that has the ability to withstand incredible amounts of toxicity and can be the key to creating 24-carat gold.
Researchers from the Michigan State University have found that the metal-tolerant bacteria `Cupriavidus metallidurans` can grow on massive concentrations of gold chloride or liquid gold, a toxic chemical compound found in nature.
The researchers fed the bacteria unprecedented amounts of gold chloride, mimicking the process they believe happens in nature. In about a week, the bacteria transformed the toxins and produced a gold nugget.
"Microbial alchemy is what we`re doing - transforming gold from something that has no value into a solid, precious metal that`s valuable," said Kazem Kashefi, assistant professor of microbiology and molecular genetics in a statement.
In their art installation, "The Great Work of the Metal Lover", researchers used a combination of biotechnology, art and alchemy to turn liquid gold into 24-carat gold.
The artwork contained a portable laboratory made of 24-karat gold-plated hardware, a glass bioreactor and the bacteria, a combination that produces gold.
The work is on display at the cyber art competition, Prix Ars Electronica, in Austria.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi pitches for 'Selfie with daughter' initiative
- 'Mann ki Baat': World is keen to know more about India, says PM Modi
- Kejriwal knew Tomar possessed fake degree, says Yogendra Yadav
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- Need another agricultural revolution: PM Modi
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- BJP can give even Dawood Ibrahim a clean chit: Digvijay Singh
- Tihar Jail's security breached: Lt Governor Najeeb Jung orders probe, Centre seeks report
- MEA declines information on Lalit Modi's passport issue, draws flak
- Varun-Shraddha's `ABCD2` holds a firm grip at Box Office!