Scientists must give viable solutions to food, water security problems: PM
New Delhi: Asking the scientific community to find viable solutions to national problems like food, environment and water security, Prime Minister Manmohan Singh Monday warned that the country will lack behind in human development unless "internal asymmetries are bridged".
"Science is a tool to empower and emancipate people. Unless our internal asymmetries are bridged, India will lack human development," he said addressing the scientific community at a function here.
"Our scientists must provide viable solutions to national problems of food, nutrition, energy, environment and water security," he emphasised.
The Prime Minister said the government has taken a number of foundational steps to promote India`s long-term economic and social transformation through science.
Many of these initiatives owe a great deal to policy suggestions and inputs from the Scientific Advisory Council (SAC), he said while congratulating it.
"These achievements of the SAC should be documented and publicised as a roadmap to lead India to knowledge, prosperity and power," he said.
He expressed confidence that SAC will continue to push the frontiers of Indian science in excellence and relevance.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof