Scientists one step closer to fully sequencing the salmon genome
Washington: Scientists are one step to fully sequencing the genome of the economically important, environmentally sensitive Atlantic salmon species.
Genome BC partnered with the Chilean Economic Development Agency, InnovaChile, Norwegian Research Council, Norwegian Fishery and Aquaculture Industry Research Fund to form the International Cooperation to Sequence the Atlantic Salmon Genome (the Cooperation).
Together they are well underway on a multi-million dollar, multi-phased project that will produce a genome sequence that identifies and maps all of the genes in the Atlantic salmon genome and can act as a reference/guide sequence for the genomes of other salmonids (e.g. Pacific salmon, rainbow trout and more distantly related fish such as smelt and pike.)
Phase one of the project was awarded to Beckman Coulter Genomics to produce a 4X coverage genome using paired-end, plasmid, fosmid and BAC Sanger sequences. It is expected that this phase will be complete in January, 2011.
The Cooperation is gearing up for phase two which will result in a high definition and well-annotated genome using primarily next generation sequencing technologies.
The Cooperation is seeking interested parties (publically or privately funded genome sequencing centres, or public/private partnerships) to undertake phase two.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- Yuvraj Singh completes 8000 runs in first class cricket
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Delhi gang-rape: Show juvenile rapist's face to the world, demand Nirbhaya's parents