Scientists studying mysterious disease that killed millions of starfish
Zee Media Bureau/Salome Phelamei
Washington: Scientists are investigating a mysterious disease that has killed millions of sea stars along the US west coast.
Biologists called the disease as `The sea star washing syndrome`. According to the researchers, the arms of the starfish, that have been infected with the mysterious disease, first writhe and crawl and finally detach from the bodies completely. Starfish may develop lesions on their skin when the disease hits.
Generally, starfish can renew lost arms, but this disease doesn`t allow them to heal. Instead, the arms once separated from the bodies will make holes from where the fish innards come out.
The ghastly disease was first reported among starfish along the Washington state coast waters. But now, it has been spotted in Alaska and Southern California waters too.
The disease was first noticed amongst only one species, the Sunflower starfish, in June last year. Now, as many as 12 species have been affected by the sea star washing syndrome.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Explosive photos and phone conversation – How Mikhail plans to expose Indrani Mukerjea
- Arvind Kejriwal in Bihar, shown black flags at Patna airport
- After daughter Sheena, Indrani Mukerjea planned to kill son Mikhail?
- Sheena murder case: Rahul Mukerjea being questioned at undisclosed location
- Sheena Bora was introduced to me as aunt: Indrani Mukerjea-Sanjeev Khanna's daughter Vidhie