Scientists to make detailed map of California coast
San Jose, California: Scientists will be using laser beams, computer software and airplanes to piece together what they say will be the most detailed map ever assembled of the California coastline.
State and federal scientists are set to begin work next month on a map of the state`s 1,200-mile coastline.
Doug George, a project manager with the state`s Ocean Protection Council, says the images will be so detailed that the new map will identify boulders and telephone poles. The data gathered will be used to track ocean levels, beach erosion and flooding risks.
The $3.3 million project will be supervised by the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration.
The work is expected to be finished in December, with the images posted to the Internet by next summer.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- CBI confirms Delhi health minister Satyendra Jain's indulgence in Hawala business
- Watch: CM Yogi Adityanath's first speech in UP Assembly house
- Should army take strict action against stone pelters of J&K?
- Etawah: UP cops caught drunk while on duty
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- The Kapil Sharma Show: No Sunday episode this weekend? Here’s why
- India vs Australia: Virat Kohli takes reconciliatory path, says his friendship comment was 'blown out of proportion'
- Sunil Grover joining AIB? Here’s the truth
- Reliance Jio closes in on 50 million paid users