Scientists to make detailed map of California coast
San Jose, California: Scientists will be using laser beams, computer software and airplanes to piece together what they say will be the most detailed map ever assembled of the California coastline.
State and federal scientists are set to begin work next month on a map of the state`s 1,200-mile coastline.
Doug George, a project manager with the state`s Ocean Protection Council, says the images will be so detailed that the new map will identify boulders and telephone poles. The data gathered will be used to track ocean levels, beach erosion and flooding risks.
The $3.3 million project will be supervised by the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration.
The work is expected to be finished in December, with the images posted to the Internet by next summer.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop leadership quality in youths?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop leadership quality in youths? - Part II
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop leadership quality in youths? - Part III
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop leadership quality in youths? - Part IV
- Will India's strategies change over issues with Pakistan?
- African nationals targetted: Delhi Police rule out hate crime angle, say 'attacks were not racial in nature'
- African nationals targetted: Delhi cops arrest five persons, detain four others
- Will not bow to labour reform protestors: French PM Manuel Valls
- Former Punjab CM Beant Singh's grandson shoots himself, dies
- Photo alert! First look of Dwayne Johnson from 'Fast & Furious 8'!