Scientists to make detailed map of California coast
San Jose, California: Scientists will be using laser beams, computer software and airplanes to piece together what they say will be the most detailed map ever assembled of the California coastline.
State and federal scientists are set to begin work next month on a map of the state`s 1,200-mile coastline.
Doug George, a project manager with the state`s Ocean Protection Council, says the images will be so detailed that the new map will identify boulders and telephone poles. The data gathered will be used to track ocean levels, beach erosion and flooding risks.
The $3.3 million project will be supervised by the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration.
The work is expected to be finished in December, with the images posted to the Internet by next summer.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Here's what Islamic State captors told Indian teachers
- Pakistan releases 163 Indian fishermen as goodwill gesture
- Washington Mayor calls Michelle Obama 'gorilla face', says 'she is attractive only to monkey man Barack'
- Drishyam earns Rs 17 cr in 2 days, Bajrangi clocks Rs 283 cr
- Two Indians freed from ISIS captivity in Libya to head home, fate of other two unknown